Our house is about 3 hours away from where we stayed with the girls, down in LA. We had a lot of time to talk during the car ride home.
First we talked about our trip. I won't tell you too much about that, for it deserves to be posted on LA Kink. Needless to say, we had a LOT to say about our trip, and it was all GOOD!
About half way through our trip, we started talking about domestic discipline. I had talked a little about Cassie and how it seemed to me that she and Tom and a pretty traditional d/d relationship. Bossman wanted to know what I meant by that. What makes their relationship different than ours. I gave a few examples and he didn't get it. He said it sounded like a dictatorship. I, on the other hand, don't see it as such, at all. But I was having a hard time explaining it to HIM.
See, we may have been at this for a long time, but in reality, we still don't get it.
Anyway, I was trying to explain myself, when I remembered a post from dwcmikes. I can't link just the one post, so scroll down to July 19th, if you care to read the article (and comment that I made to it.) Also July 24 gives Mikes response to some of the comments (including mine). If you want to go directly to his blog, his link is on my sidebar under spanked hubby.
One of the main questions that caught my attention in the article is this:
How can you spank a person as discipline, if they enjoy being spanked?
So while explaining myself to Bossman, I remembered this question and when I asked Bossman the question, he wanted to know the answer himself. So, I told him MY answer, the one I gave in the comments. My answer was this:
I want to be spanked and I want it to be for a reason. Otherwise, it's kinky, and lord knows I don't want to be considered kinky.
The reality is, I like spanking and I get turned on by spanking. Saying it's for discipline makes it seem better. Makes it seem not so weird. Justifies it, in my mind.
So, as much as I'd love to say that I get spanked for discipline, if I want to be true to myself, I'd have to say that I'm spanked because I like it.
Fantasy, reality, sometimes it's hard to separate the two.
Generally, this is how I feel about the whole thing. I want to be spanked. I think I want it to be for a reason, but do I want to be that submissive? Do I want to listen to everything he says and be punished if I don't? That's a very good question, one that I can't answer.
So, after coming to that conclusion, Bossman made a couple of suggestions. Nothing drastic, but we are going to try and implement more d/d into our life.
He's going to make a greater effort in spanking me when he knows I deserve it and he's going to try and make it count. (meaning, it's gonna HURT) We are not going to make rules or stuff of that nature. We already know that doesn't work for us. But there are certain things in our life that I could do a better job at. There are things that annoy him that I need to be more aware of. (walking ahead of him at the store, leaving him behind)
So we are going to try it. I hate even saying it, for it seems we've been down this road before, and we never quite get the hang of it.
But, I'm willing to try. I so want this to work.
Could it be that what I want to be and what I am, are two different things? If that's the case, how do you change the way you are...the way you have always been? If you do change, does that change who you really are? Are you being true to yourself? Which you is the "real" you? How do you know for sure who the real you is?
I guess I just have to see what works and go from there.....
Wish us luck!
Oh i so get that..i feel the same way but really don't want that i have to "do as your told thing" cuz i'm pretty independent.
ReplyDeleteBut in reality i guess i've just excepted the fact that i'm kinky..
Good Luck...
Grace as far as Mthc kinky is not the word for her they haven't invented it yet.
ReplyDelete*hugs and grins*
Grace, I'm new to reading your blog and don't have a dd relationship. I've only been spanked for a few months, but I seem to have the opposite reality. After a period of emotional adjustment, I'm comfortable enjoying being spanked as a kinky addition to sex, but I can't help sounding eager when Hubby makes references to certain types of "motivation" or "inspiration". I have no idea if we'll ever try anything like dd, but I think there's a learning curve for all of us. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteYou said it girlfriend!! It's such a confusing feeling, confusing topic. The thing is, if we're kinky then we're kinky. I once heard a preacher in a sermon say that he could be as kinky and perverted as he wanted... with the partner God gave him. I tend to agree. That's how I justify it. As long as I am only with Adam then it just doesn't matter. It's not perverted if it's with only him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
ReplyDeleteHugs~
Eva
Grace, there is no golden standard for dd, each couple has to find what suites them, you and Bossman will work it out.
ReplyDeleteKink is a movable feast, it means different things to different people.
Don't worry about it.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
Basically – WHAT YOU SAID!! Grace I have struggled with this question since long before I came out. I too tend to idolize Cassie and Tom although I know deep down I couldn’t really live with that much control from my husband.
ReplyDeleteIf others think spanking is kinky I do not mind that label. I will laugh and tell other I am kinky but deep down I really don’t feel that spanking is kinky at all. Since it has become the norm for us (and most of my close friends) it really doesn’t feel kinky to me.
But about wanting discipline, that’s different. Maybe it has just been a fantasy for me so long. The idea of a man taking control, doing something about it if I do something he does not like, that idea just makes me feel safe and cared for. Whether or not it ever really happens for us, that particular longing is not likely to go away. It is just too deeply ingrained.
I loved the post from dcmikes you referred to, it is EXCELLENT! He did such a great job of explaining the question “How can spanking be discipline if we like spanking?” I hope Nick reads this.
I can honestly say my life is idyllic right now. We have come so far and are having so much fun in our journey. But if or when he really understands how I feel about discipline and is able to incorporate it just a little into our relationship – well that would really be the icing on the cake!
PK
Well, I've thought a LOT about this issue, Dan and I having smacked our heads right up against it again and again and the key is what you wrote here; there is fantasy and there is reality and they don't always mesh. That's why so many of us can become confused and frustrated at times.
ReplyDeleteThe answer is, you are both independent Grace AND submissive, "please spank me for being bad" Grace. Chances are, conflict arises when you don't want to be spanked for something, you want to discuss it or you don't even think it's an issue but then Bossman is obligated to follow up on what he promised so he ignores that and doms you anyway. Then you might feel resentful, upset that your opinion as a person, as his partner and wife, seems to have been ignored, then Bossman gets upset because he was only doing what you asked, damn it woman, make up your mind, and etc., etc.
That's all still very valid, you know. It doesn't discount your submissive feelings, or your need to be spanked, and it's not a reflection upon Bossman's talents; it's simply a part of being human. There are going to be times where you're not going to want to be spanked but your husband is going to decide you *will* and sometimes that's going to work out for you guys well and sometimes...
Maybe not so much. *laughs*
This is because we are not all one thing; as humans, we are vastly complicated. Far too complicated to say "I'm a spanko" and that's ALL you are or "I'm submissive" and that's ALL. No. We are too multi-leveled. Also, some fantasies are not mean to be made real and that's fine; they can stay fantasies, not everything that excites us in our minds must become a reality. Sometimes it falls flat in real life, I know! lol Doesn't mean we are not everything we are; doesn't mean anyone did anything "wrong" or anything like that; we still are who we are, we just learned something new about ourselves and each other, that's all. :)
There is a saying, "there is the mind and then there is reality".
Try not to take it all too seriously. I know it's hard but if I blow it or if Dan does, so what? Doesn't mean we "broke" the damn thing, just means we chalk it up to a glitch in the system, put it behind us and continue on.
This is meant to be fun and exciting and pleasurable. When it stops being those things, then it's time to halt, reflect and weed out the parts that are not working.
Or, sometimes it's just something that occurs; we're people, not machines. Sometimes we all make mistakes. No biggie. We are not meant to be perfect but beautifully flawed. :)
Enjoy your new direction! :)
Grace, every time I come here I think "She SO gets me! Good luck, sweetie!
ReplyDeletemtch, I so get that! I'm very independant, so how does a person be submissive and independant?
ReplyDeletedavid, let me know when you come up with the word, I'd like to know it...LOL
K...welcome to my blog. I totally relate...I so get turned on just TALKING about him "motivating" me!
Eva, I love that preachers attitude and I love your story! That's MY story!
Paul, so very true! Kink is different for different people. Too bad the majority of people don't understand THAT!
PK, I've said it once and I'll say it again, I want to grow up to be YOU! I get what your saying about feeling safe. I totally feel the same. That's what makes it so frustrating.
Amber, I love that you think I'm human! LOL Actually, you make so much sense! It's so hard to get the independant and the submissive to mesh. I know things will never be perfect, nothing ever is. Fantasy falling flat? NEVER...LOL Oh how I know this well. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother trying. But then I realize how boring life would be if we didn't try. Plus I realize we would never learn anything about ourselves if we didn't try different things.
Oh Angelbrat, I totally feel the same when reading your blog. Maybe we are twins born 10 years apart?
Thanks everyone for your comments! It gave me a lot to think about. I'll let you know if we are making progress or not, whichever happens!
HUGS!
grace
I find it refreshing to know that you all GET me! That's why I love blogging and reading blogs so much!
Sounds like us Grace, but you're further down the road than we are. Partly because PS is more a vanilla than anything. I wish you luck and more than that, consistancy! I think that is what we both need the very most.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Carye
Briefly, if I could ever really be brief.
ReplyDeleteNo contract is necessary, because enforcement takes monitoring, watching, and not enjoying each others companionship.
However, accepting a spanking when your partner feels you deserve it (and you don't feel you deserve it), is identical to asking for a spanking, when your partner may not feel like spanking you. Both cases satisfy a need that one person feels is necessary.
The advantage of domestic discipline is that you can solve minor annoyances in your relationship! If your walking ahead of bossman annoys him, then doing it will get you spanked. Your effort at not walking ahead again in the future, shows your caring about this feelings, your effort in making the relationship more loving, and his reward for spanking you. You both win!!!
Don't worry, other annoying habits already exist that will keep your bottom well warmed in the future.
Each problem spanked away leads to a happier relationship! (plus great sex)
Enjoy being the happiest kinky person imaginable. I do!!
This can only work when you are able to accept a spanking you feel is totally undeserved without arguing, or a spanking just because your partner feels like spanking you for no reason whatsoever, then the greater good of happiness is being fostered. This also leads to playful pats on your bottom when you least expect it, letting you know the affection and love you have for each other.
dwcmike (aka mike)
If anyone wants to read the two articles Grace refers to:
ReplyDeleteFirst play spankings moving to discipline spankings - Part One was posted July 17,
I cannot spank you for doing ***, you enjoy it July 19th
You might like to read the comments by readers.. and my replies..
my responses to your comments on discipline versus play part one July 24, and
my responses part two july 26.
Lastly,to me F/M or M/F are exactly the same... unfortunately, Lynn only prefers F/M.
lastly
to find my blog just use google search for spankedhubby
bottoms up
Mike
fantasy vs. reality...so complicated. Since I can remember I have always fantasized about being spanked and all of the fantasies have been involved around the idea of discipline...up until recently. When I shared my secret with my husband last fall I began to fantasize about him taking me in his strong arms and spanking me sensually for no other reason than for fun. Either way the fantasy always resulted in the same way...me wet with excitement. The reality is I like to be spanked. Howevever, with regards to discipline, we work well together as a team. Sometimes we are independent and sometimes we make decisions together and that works for us. We both have things about us we could improve, but for the most part we resolve those things well together. I cannot imagine having a DD relationship in the truest sense of the word. But yet I still fantasize about it - I fantasize about my knight in shining armour protecting me and caring for me - worrying about me if I come home late...not that I want my husband to worry about me or that I would ever give him cause to worry...but just to know he would and would make his expectations clear if ever I was late...and if I was working really hard and stressed that he would take control of the situation and of me and spank me to relieve my stress...and with weight loss I would love if he would help me so I am not struggling alone - in reality he would say it is my responsibility and it is but how wonderful it would be if he saw me eating something unhealthy and instead of joining me he would take it away from me and tell me he loves me so much that he can't let me do that to myself or says let's go for a walk with the kids instead...so I think the fantasy of discipline will always be there whether or not it ever becomes part of our reality. Anyways babbling on...very thought provoking post... :-) Take care! Hugs, Terpsichore
ReplyDeleteWell you don't really have to explain how you feel to me, I get it.
ReplyDeleteSomething about it is a turn on even though it is for real and not just for play. It is soul satisfying. Is that a word?
You know I do some things that would shock a lot of people, but I don't feel kinky. I feel rather wholesome now that I think of it!
Great talk.
Huggs
Theresa