life is good

You would not believe how many times I have opened and closed blogger and written and deleted drafts. I'd get part way through a post and someone would interrupt and by the time I came back, I wouldn't like what I had written....so I'd delete. Start again, only to be interrupted again!

So...this time, I will finish a post. And actually let you guys read it...

The decision on chemo was made. I prayed, I polled people, I googled and I cried. In the end, I decided chemo was not for me. 3 percent is not really a lot...and it turns out that most people would agree with me. Of course, some would argue that I should be doing everything humanly possible.....(yes MOM!) I believe at this point, I am doing everything humanly possible. The side-effects and other nonsense that came along with chemo just didn't seem like it was going to make much of a difference and the long term effects of chemo didn't sit well with me. Upon visiting the breast cancer boards and finding people in very similar situations, I determined that there wasn't a "right" answer, only one that I could live with. I, alone, had to decide what was best for me. Crazy, I know! Because I'm not used to making decisions based on MY needs. I'm usually worried about everyone else's needs.

So, no chemo. But I was quite proud that I had done research. I found things that I should ask the doc and (I won't bore you with our mundane discussion on breasts and ovaries)the doc was quite impressed with my good questions. It brought some things to his mind that he hadn't thought of and we are both on the same page as to the rest of my treatment. He says he has NO problem with me NOT doing the chemo!

Now that the decision has been made, I am feeling much better. I don't feel like I have something hanging on my shoulders. YAY me!

Connie Sven and I have broken up. Actually, Sven broke up with me. Seems I'm doing so well, Sven doesn't need to see me anymore! Today was my last day of physical therapy. Although Sven and I had a splendid time together....it was time for Sven to move on to someone else! Goodbye Connie Sven!

I think I mentioned that Bossman won a trip to Hawaii....
I haven't brought it up because I was worried I wouldn't be able to go on the trip. At the time, I wasn't sure what my treatment was going to be, so I didn't want to get to excited. But now it's time to get excited!!!!! I get to go!

The docs said I could start my radiation the day after I get back from Hawaii. Once I start the radiation, I will go every day for 7 weeks. That's right.....every-single-day! (except weekends) They didn't want me to miss one, so they said I could start when I get back. So from now until then...April 14th...I don't have any treatment. Well, I do have to go and get ready for the radiation. I'll have a CT scan and they will give me a couple of tattoos. (I'm hoping for a butterfly and a star...) Actually, the tats are freckle sized and they will permanently mark where they will be doing the radiation. They will also go through a test run with me, so they can make sure they will be shooting that radiation in the exact place they want it to go.

Oh, one more thing before I run.....

I got THIS....



for an anniversary gift.

I only have one word for it. OUCH!

Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

17 comments:

  1. I love that you sound so happy! Your decision is made and it sounds like a good one. Mom had to have that tattoo on her face when she had radiation for a tumor near her ear. She wasn't thrilled but she got used to it.

    Hawaii! Now that is fantastic! I got to go when I was 17 and again 20, two of the very best trips I've ever been on (not counting LA a few summers ago! LOL) I want pictures and details!!

    I had a mental glitch (not uncommon) around your anniversary and didn't get back here, but happy birthday. I love your gift - as long as it's only used on you and not me.

    Love you girl!!

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  2. See what I mean about mental glitches?? Happy Anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you, Grace.
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you obviously made the right decision. Look at how good you feel about it! And good for you for doing the research. Knowledge is power! Honestly, I think I would have made the same decision.

    Have a wonderful trip!

    Lots of Love and Huggs!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Thanks for the update. Congrats on going to Hawaii/ I love your anniversary gift/ It does look ouchy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for you for having done the research and made the right decision for you! You've definitely been in my prayers, and I'm so glad you're happy with the way things are going. Have tons of fun in Hawaii, and if you can get to the Polynesian Cultural Center, you too can have a genuine intricately carved, mother-of-pearl-inlaid, Aotearoan butt blisterer, er, I mean ceremonial war patu!

    Love ya!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace, this all sounds very good.
    Have a wonderful trip, sounds like a journey of a lifetime, enjoy.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace, you put lots of energy into making your decision. I'm very happy that you made your decision and can be at peace with it.

    Hawaii. Lucky, lucky girl! I hope it is an absolute blast.

    Hugs,
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry that I have only a minute, but I wanted you to know what a terrific job you are doing! Really fantastic! Not easy, but you are doing your work, making your choices, then making your peace with them. Your family must be very proud of you, and you should be very proud of yourself. Have a great trip - you all deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great that your sounding happy and positive Grace.

    Hope you have a blast in Hawaii.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aloha, Grace!

    You did your homework, you've graduated PT, your doctor supports your decision.... you took care of you! Awesome!!!

    And you're going to Hawaii!!!

    *Aloha Hugs*
    CeeCi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! That's the best thing I've read this week. :)

    Or last week, as far as that goes.

    Hugs,
    s

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grace: Congrats on your decision, your anniversary and birthday and the trip to Hawaii.

    How long are you staying there and which islands are you visiting? Have a great time and tell us all about it when you get back.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did your homework, talked it over and made a good decision. I'm glad your happy with it! Woohoo Hawaii, too!! Meow

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should have used that spoon on you today. Hummm maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

    Bossman

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my God Grace, I had NO IDEA about this. I haven't read blogs in ages. I can't tell you how horrible it is to have this news be the first thing I see here. You are a truly wonderful lady and I will send you all my love and best hopes, for whatever little that may be worth!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Dante, every good thought is a good thought! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete