The big C

Thank you all for dog food advice.  I've been looking things up online and we haven't made a decision about her food yet.  Some days she's just more itchy than others.  Today she's fine.  Even if it's not the food, after all the stuff I've been reading, I'd like to give her something more healthy for her instead of just going with the cheapy stuff.

So....do any of you watch a show called The big C?  It's on showtime.  If you don't watch it, the theme is simple.  It's about a woman that has incurable cancer.  You'd think it would be sad, but it's more of a sitcom.

Anyway, I started watching this show and at first I didn't think I was going to like it.  I mean I've gone the cancer road and did I really want to think about it again?  But, I'm morbid.  Even when I am contemplating my own mortality, I can't help but see how others go through it.  So I started watching.

Over all the show is pretty good.  BUT....there are some parts that bother me.

The biggest complaint?  She waits 3 months before she tells anyone she's dying.

WHO does that?  WHY would you do that? 

I don't get it.  Wouldn't you want to tell your family so you could enjoy the last remaining months or years and your family could enjoy you?

Um no.  She decides to kick her hubby out of the house and doesn't let her son go to soccer camp.  She thinks she's going to spend the summer with her teenage son...(yeah right...) but instead the son is complete upset with her and spends his time with his friends.  So, she ends up having an affair.

I don't get it.

I'm on to season two now, she's told her family and has decide to pursue treatment.  She's let her husband come back.  I guess if you have cancer it's ok to have an affair.....

Well....what do you think?  Would you wait for months before telling anyone in your family about your health?  Would you forgive your spouse if they had an affair and then told you they were dying of cancer?

I'm just curious.

I'm also ready to be spanked now!  (I'm just saying that in case Bossman stops by to read..)




Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

8 comments:

  1. If this is fiction, I could see the writers just drawing out the suspense. Is it reality TV? Not telling anyone is just weird. But not as weird as expecting your teenage son to spend time with you!
    PS: I hope Bossman is reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the show so I checked the reviews and they tended to be favorable. It also got a second season, but one reviewer said it was strange that she didn't tell anybody she was dying.

    And let us know if Bossman gives you that spanking.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started watching, but thought she was just too weird. You never know how you will react to news, but I cannot imagine reactin as she did.
    Hope that spnking is in the works.
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I believe I'd wait to tell. Not so as to run around and lie and mistreat my family. I would wait until I had a plan for them to go forward though. Three months seems believable to create that plan. I mean if it's incurable cancer and nothing can be done, then telling them the same day doesn't seem to accomplish much good and yet lengthens the time they would have to endure knowing I was dying. Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to speculate on what I would do; I think if you are told news as devastating as that, you would tell at least your partner, you would need the support and reassurance... I imagine being told you have terminal cancer must feel like being hit by a truck, but truly feel that you are not qualified to say what you would do until you have been in those shoes.
    My neighbour was told he had terminal cancer; he was 48 and had 4 kids, aged 9-17. He told his wife immediately and kids within 2 days. He began chemo, having been advised that with chemo, he had 6 months, without it, 3 months. After the first chemo session left him so ill he couldn't walk, he said he would rather have 3 months without it, as normal as possible, than 6 confined to bed. He died just 7 weeks later, bless him. No age.
    You, Grace, having survived it, have more of an idea how it really feels than many of us.
    God bless you, and may you live healthy and happy for many, many more years!!!xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.facebook.com/groups/261761471359

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meow, It is weird but for some reason I'm drawn to watching that show!

    FD, no spanking yet, but I promise to keep you all posted if it happens!

    Abby, I think she's weird too, but the whole family is growing on me, so I keep watching.

    Magnus, I can see your point. I guess some would feel that way. When I found out I had cancer the first thing I did was think...who should I call first? I guess some don't need that kind of support. In a way, I think it's actually brave to find out something like that and not tell anyone, but on the other hand, I would be PISSED if someone I loves has cancer and is dying and doesn't tell me.

    Daisy, I'm sorry about your neighbor. I just can't understand why some get cancer and some don't. It just doesn't seem fair. And my momma always said, "life isn't always fair."

    Anonymous, I checked it out and I don't think I can go raw with my dog, but that is quite interesting, I didn't even think about that.

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms Grace,

    It's so hard to believe that I have never visited your blog before as we follow so many of the same blogs... anyway I enjoyed it.

    I have a couple of comments...

    First... I am so glad you survived your bout with cancer... it's such a horrible disease and not many people in my own family have died from it... thank God... and I too don't understand why it's terminal for some and not others... it's one of the questions I plan to ask when I get to heaven! :o)

    Second... I would tell hubby, mom,BFF and a few other select people right away... tell my kids once we had a plan...I'm so weak I'm crying just thinking about this....

    Third...If S was dying and had an affair... he'd better hope it was terminal!! *giggling*

    I too hope you get spanked!! *grin*

    Mikki

    ReplyDelete