Friday Fail

A couple of weeks ago, I went to my oncologist for a routine check up.  I go every 3 months.  I told my onco about the dizzy spells and the vertigo.  He proceeded to ask 20 questions to find out if there was anything else going on.  THEN, he said he would like me to have an MRI, just to be sure. 

Anytime you are diagnosed with cancer, you have to be prepared to always have that in the back of your mind, even when you are finished with treatments.

Have you ever had an MRI?

I had one last year on my neck and although it was a little claustrophobic, I managed to survive.

This time, not so much.

Friday morning, Bossman and I went to the hospital for the test.  I was trying really hard to remind myself that it wasn't so bad and I'd be done in no time and I shouldn't be worried.

I left Bossman in the waiting room and I went with the tech.  I thought I would have to take off all the metal stuff, like last time.  The tech said I didn't need to as only my head was going in.  I really thought this wasn't going to be bad.

She had me lay on the bed and gave me ear plugs.  THEN she put foam cushions around my head.  THEN she put a metal cage thing over my head with a mirror, so I could look out.  Before that, I was licking my lips and she told me I couldn't do that.  She said I couldn't wiggle my nose if I got an itch either.  I asked how long I was going to have to do this and she said 30 min.  That is when I pretty much lost my cool.  I knew this wasn't going to happen.  Took everything off my head and said she would call my hubby and have him hold my hand. 

Um, no.  By this time I was almost in tears. 

I told her no.  I couldn't do it.

So, I left.

Now, I'm not a claustrophobic person, but that was too much.  I couldn't hear a thing and I felt like my head was entombed in a cement case.

Oh no...that wasn't going to work for me.

So, this week, I'll have a CT scan instead.

And I'll try not to lose my shit.


Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oyyyyy! Didn't I say you had to check with me before any more medical stuff? ;)

    I'm sorry you went through that, Grace. You know, I AM claustrophobic and the MRI I had a few years back was very scary. I took a valium a good hour beforehand. I think it made a difference, at least, I was able to handle the head-thing with the mirror. I also had Tony there to be with me.

    I was so nervous, I actually barfed before they put me in it. Nice, eh? And with my phobia about it, OY! :(

    It wasn't so bad once I was in it, though.

    And I felt relief when the results were negative, so it was worth it.

    I'm willing to bet a bazillion bucks that your vertigo and dizziness is due to stress, too. Mine was. But you'll feel more at ease about it after the CT scan and it might even go away. Mine did, although it took a good while.
    {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

    I completely understand why you left and I support you! :D ~~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh, no wonder you freaked! Who wouldn't?
    I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think I could have done it,(but, hey, I have never had to try, the real thing would be a different story, I bet!) as long as I didn't get an itch anywhere!! I mean, twitching your nose/trying to alleviate an itch is a natural, often involuntary action, you don't do it consciously! Hugs, Hunni, and sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Grace! I have had an MRI actually. Because of an accident on the job I once had metal fragments sprayed in my face. It was not terribly comforting to be told I had to have x-rays of my eyes to insure no stray fragment would be ripped out of my eyes from the inside out! I hope you make it through the rest of your testing and everything comes back negative for anything serious.

    ReplyDelete