I suppose I should be supportive of all this pink. I mean, I am a survivor, if that's what you want to call me. But really, I am NOT a fan of pinktober.
First of all, do you live under a rock? Because frankly, unless you live under a rock, I don't really need to make you aware of breast cancer. We all know it's there. We all know that we should get a mammogram after the age of 40, or if you have history of BC in your family. We all KNOW we should be doing self exams. WE KNOW for goodness sakes!
I'm very skeptical about buying the pink stuff. Lets face it...the prices on the pink stuff are usually jacked up. Also, how much of the money actually goes where it says it's going to go? I feel much better donating to the Relay for Life (which supports ALL cancer) or straight to a breast cancer organization. Actually, I'd prefer to donate to someone that is in the middle of treatments and needs help financially.
But hey, if you want to buy the pink stuff....go ahead, I'm not going to give you a funny look or anything.
Also, as far as being a survivor....heh! It feels weird saying that. I mean, it's not like I got in a car crash, or was stranded out at sea for weeks. Heck, I just had a little surgery, had a little radiation and everything is fine. Seriously, I'm also a survivor of the flu and recently I'm the survivor of a stubbed toe, which, OMG, that really, really HURT! ( and it bled all over the house before I realized it was bleeding and now I may lose the nail and it was my pinkie toe...so) I feel more of a survivor when I talk about D. Surviving watching someone you love die...well, it was a lot harder than the cancer stuff.
I will admit that I do have a pink ribbon on my car that says survivor. My profile does say I'm a survivor and I even have pink ribbons on my blog page. I only say I'm a survivor because I can't think of another word. I mention it on my profile because it's a part of who I am now. I didn't ask for that part, but I got it anyway.
I'm sad that there isn't more emphasis on the other cancers. When I told D I had cancer, she said, and she said it would sound bad, but she said that she wished she had had breast cancer because it gets the most attention and the most money and the most research. She also really loved the color pink.
So, that's my thoughts on pinktober.
Now go get your mammogram!
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Hi Grace
ReplyDeleteLately all over our town I've seen teal colored ribbons and now the teal magnetic ribbons for cars, and then signs all over with teal lettering saying that September was ovarian cancer month, so I guess maybe other cancers are finally getting some attention, lol.
Glad you are a survivor, even if you don't feel like one. ;-)
It's Adrienne and I'm with you on being irritated by the pink or ribbon or whatever "breast cancer awareness" drive. I usually don't say anything about my irritation because I realize for some people, this is very important to them. I don't want to rain on their parade so I usually just keep my mouth shut. But the colored ribbon thing is something that always makes me inwardly sigh and roll my eyes.
ReplyDeleteThis is even though my mother, my mother-in-law and my best friend in my 30's all died of cancer and to this day, I miss them acutely.
Intelligent discussions about cancer, giving money to research about cancer, supporting people battling with cancer, yeah, I'm totally behind all that.
But the ribbon thing...oh and also, the Facebook thing where women post the most idiotic drivel as their status and the point is supposed to be people are supposed to ask you about it and then you tell them it's about breast cancer or whatever...?
I find it embarrassing.
Stupid. And rather...
Childish.
If men did that kind of thing about prostate cancer, I'd think they were being very silly. And, it's not like I'm against being silly or whatever because that can be a great deal of fun, I can regress with the best of 'em! lol
But...cancer is a serious serious thing. And the ribbons just seem...silly.
Silliness over a serious subject that has caused me a great deal of personal grief. Not a fan.
But I'm only saying all this because you are saying it here on your blog, so I'm saying this to you and you alone. :)
Are you sure you are not my long-lost sister? :D
I always did think my sister was switched at birth....so maybe?
ReplyDeleteOh girl, don't get me started on the facebook dribble. ACK! So stupid. There was one where it said something about people wanting new cars and stuff but cancer patients just want to live...and I thought that's true, but I also want a new car and stuff...LOL I know they mean well, but I find it irritating.
Also, I am trying really hard to put the BC stuff behind me, but October? You can forget about it...it's shoved in my face on TV, in the magazines, on my food labels. Sheez...I don't want to think about it.
So yeah...I'm not a big fan of pinktober!
Hi, Stumblin...thanks for stopping by! I AM very glad to be a survivor, even if I don't feel like one. And I did see some teal around. Problem is, now they want us to wear teal for this cancer, rainbow for the gays, purple for bullying. It's just too much!!!!!
Oh well, I am glad there is research being done. I really am glad for that.
grace
Hey Grace - It's good to see you posting.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you about prices for the Pink merchandise being hacked up really annoys me and yes how much actually goes to where it should. Do we really need a pink month? I also wish that there was more emphasis on other cancers.
Love,
Ronnie
xx