He was quite surprised when he came downstairs from his upstairs dorm room and found his father and I there with cake and pizza for the whole dorm. At first he didn't see us as there was a crowd of boys anxious to eat pizza. I came out of the crowd and said, "I couldn't let my baby turn 18 without a kiss from his Mom." His eyes got big and he said, "MOM! What are you doing here!"
Needless to say, it was a great birthday! I was happy to see him and he was happy to see us.
Few days later was the biggest surprise of all. We flew in his "girlfriend" from Indiana. He had been dating her for almost a year but had never MET her in person. I'm sure a lot of us can relate to that in some way or another. We were in his room helping him pack it up when my daughter showed up with the girlfriend. She, my daughter, knocked on the door and came in and the girlfriend followed. He was so surprised I think there were tears! They just hugged and hugged. After a few minutes they let go of each other, but then they wanted to leave. So they took off for a couple of hours and we went back to the hotel. It was really awesome.
The next day, he graduated! I'm so proud of that kid! He is awesome.
The girlfriend stayed for 10 days, coming home with us and hanging out with my son for the week. They had a great time together.
A week later, my daughter and her husband decided to move. They have moved 4 times since getting together. This time they moved about 2 hours from my house. It was lovely having them around the block, but 2 hours isn't really that bad. Of course they moved inland and it's QUITE hot there. Too bad for them. Hopefully they won't move again for a long time.
Back to the boy. He broke up with the girlfriend. Turns out, my son is a bit of a ladies man. He became friends with a girl at his school and they didn't do any cheating, there were definitely some feelings between them. So while the girlfriend was visiting, they talked and realized that although there was feelings between them, it wasn't going to work out. He's going to college in Washington and she lives in Indiana. The "friend" from school is going to the same college and I think he realized that the friendship could become something more. He is still friends with the girl from Indiana but for now they broke up. Ah, young love! So complicated.
Anyway, that was my June! How was yours?
I'm still very glad you brought the girlfriend out and I'm happy that they were mature enough to be friends and not to lock into anything at 18. Smart kid you have there. I hope daughter will be very happy in then new place and I hope they have AC!
ReplyDeleteThey have AC! I just wish they would stop moving! It was good that we brought out the girlfriend. She's a lovely girl and who knows what the future holds. For now he's being single and when he gets to college he can see how the relationship works out with the other gal.
DeleteYou're an awesome mom!!! I can't believe they are both legal adults now! Where's the time gone??
ReplyDeleteI don't know about being an awesome mom...but WHY didn't you tell me you were blogging again?
DeleteAlso, I think it's all a lie, they aren't really adults, they are just tricking us! I mean, look how great I look. I haven't aged at all!
So glad everything worked the way it did.
ReplyDeleteYes, everything worked out as it should. Who knows what the future will hold! Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteHe's very mature to make that decision. His mama must have taught him well :)
ReplyDelete