Fathers day is a hard day for me. The only person I celebrate on that day is the father of my children. Bossman is the best father there is. He is caring and loving and he spends a lot of time with our kids. I sometimes envy my children for having such a great father.
I never had a great father. I never even had a good one.
My father left my mother when I was about 5. One day when I was pregnant with my wildchild, he just called. Apparently my younger sister decided to get in touch with him. Without telling me. So surprise to me, my father calls.
I'll be honest. I thought a lot about him. I wondered how a father could just carry on his life without wondering about his girls. I wondered if he thought about me on my birthday or holidays. I even went to the library and looked his name up in the phone book of his city. I wrote it down and carried it with me in my wallet.
I never called the number. I just knew I had it.
My mother remarried. My stepfather was great, until I was in the 6th grade. Then he decided to sexually assault me. My mother was at work. It wouldn't be until years later that I found out that my mother knew. She took us all to counseling. I knew it was because of that. But I would never tell anyone I knew. They all thought I was asleep. I wouldn't have told anyone, I was too ashamed. I was too afraid.
I blame my father for all that. Isn't that strange? I didn't think to blame my step father. Sure, I knew it was my step fathers fault but blame my real father. The one who should have been there to protect me. The one that should have been there to take care of me and make sure nothing happened. The one that I could look up to. That one.
So, now my father wants to make amends. He's come to visit once since that day he called. The visit was 15 years ago. He lives across the country from me. But he calls and he sends cards. He sends cards to the kids also.
The cards he sends are mushy. I HATE them. The talk about how he's watched me grow into a beautiful woman. HUH?? He hasn't watched anything. He wasn't there. He tried to make me feel bad because I didn't send him a card for fathers day. I will NEVER send him a card for fathers day. He doesn't get it.
I'm a fairly religious person. I believe in forgiveness. Part of me wants to forgive. I know he won't be around long. What will I feel when he's gone? Will I feel regret? Will I regret that I didn't give him a chance? Will I regret that I didn't try hard enough to have a relationship with him? This is something that plagues me a lot. I often wonder what I will feel when that day comes.
I called him on Fathers day. I don't want to regret anything later. So I called. It was about a 3 minute conversation. How are you? Fine? Good, me too. yes, kids are good. Ok, take care, bye now.
Those of you with good fathers, cherish them. Love them with all your heart and soul. Remember how lucky you are to have a good, decent man in your life. Someone to take care of you. Someone to love you.
You are very lucky people. I envy you.
later........
I can so relate to this. My father was an abusive alcoholic and I am glad that he wasn't around. The last time I talked to him was about 7 years ago and the time before that was 17 years ago. He wants to whine and have a pity party for himself that no-one loves him and how bad his life is going. Still self centered after all these years. If he had loved when he should, he would have people to love him back now.
ReplyDeleteI do wonder though if not having a father then is what makes me want to be spanked for being "bad" and then crave to be held and told I'm a good girl. That just seems so sick though. I'm having a hard time dealing with that concept...
Reading this makes me sad for you. Sad that you almost never had a father you could count on...and maybe a little guilty that my own dad was absolutely, without a doubt, one of the worlds best ever. Cancer took him away from us a few years ago, and we still miss him contantly. But he's better off, without the pain he had to endure those last few months, and I wouldn't wish him back for that reason. We do still have the father-in-law with us, and we make the most of the time we still have together. Celebrate your husband, and if it's possible, his father. You'll never regret it.
ReplyDeleteThank you both for your comments.
ReplyDeleteI believe God only gives us what we can handle and nothing more. That means I will survive this and be a better person for it. Actually, I've already survivied.
So don't be sad for me, be happy for yourself, your a lucky person.
Thank God my children have a father that they can love, honor, and respect. I will honor him for that until the day I die.