Driving Miss Daisy

I survived the birthday!

My house is still standing. The cake has been eaten. The presents have been opened and NOW, now comes the most dreadful news of all.

The wildchild wants to drive.

Her Grandma graciously gave my daughter 200 bucks so she can take the driving class. (Thanks MOM!) That means she can now get her driving permit.

So, this is a warning. Really, it's a public service announcement.

Stay off the sidewalks people! As a matter of fact, if I were you, I'd stay indoors. I wouldn't even think of heading out the door. Nope, I'm telling you, it's just not safe.

As for me, I've purchased the helmet, googles, scarf (just so I can look cool) and the driving gloves. I'm debating on whether or not I should just get a blindfold so I don't have to watch my own execution. I'm also considering body armor, but isn't that saying, I don't trust you?

I've got out the Barry Manillow tapes for cruising, and I'm hoping between the music and the outfit this will have her deciding that driving with mom is too embarrassing.

Think it will work?

I'll let you know.....

later....

12 comments:

  1. Oh most definitely it will work, the Barry Manillow tapes confirm it.

    You'll need some rope to tie your legs together so you don't try to do that brake thing for her.

    Also that deep inhale through your teeth where you make the sththhththth noise...teenagers hate that.

    Do what I did hire a friend who has lots of experience and more patience and pay them to take your teenager driving. Now this in addition to the lessons, mind you.

    Hey it worked for my parents, it worked for me...it should work for you! Good luck. If you suvive this there are not too many more milestones! At least that I know of...yet!

    Hugs
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to tape a bundle of plastic flowers to the antenna so you'll be able to find the car in the mall parking lot...because you know after driving past the school that's the first place she'll want to go.

    Thank you for the PSA!

    **Big Hugs**
    ♥ CeeCi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you heart Grace! And no it won't work. The teenage urge to drive is right up there with our desire to be spanked. It just cannot be denied! Drivers training is free here and taught in the high schools. Mollie is only 14 but she can take drivers training at the end of this year. So I do feel your pain. Good luck and keep the helmet handy.

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make her father take her driving. That's what I did. I couldn't stand to be in the car with them. Still can't. No that's not true. It's okay now that they are older.

    Two words:

    Car

    Insurance

    Four words:

    Get

    A

    Job

    Child

    Hugs~
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be tough but once she passes her driving test test--you can send her on all kind of errands for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never fear, I can say from experience that you will survive this. I like your blog, and have added a link to it at my new blog, Spanky Loves Kallisto

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Grace - I think the period when my daughter was learning to drive, was absolutely the most frightening thing! But looking back, maybe I was exagerating just a bit. .. I think? I survived, she survived, as far as I know the other drivers on the road survived. *g* Just make sure you both wear your seat belts! And smile! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember learning to drive, it was a gas Grace.
    I'm talking in the early '50s not that many cars and no motorways.
    I think that my first car cost me £10.
    I do understand your fears, but with parents such as you and Bossman your Wild Child just has to have good sense.
    Try not to worry too much, it only ages you, and Eva is right, suggest that she gets a job.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you all think I will survive this terrible, terrible event in my life.

    My daughter has forbidden Barry, and goggles. I refuse to budge on the scarf and helmet. Barry may be baned, but she didn't say anything about Neil Diamond!

    HUGS!
    Grace

    P.S. Thanks for adding me Spanky, I'll come and check you out later...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everybody sing~

    Cracklin rosie, get on board
    Were gonna ride till there aint no more to go
    Taking it slow
    Lord, dont you know
    Have made me a time with a poor mans lady

    Okay so you know what? Those lyrics kind of fit this situation ... go read the whole song. Hahahahaha...

    Good luck, Grace, you're gonna need it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed, THIS should be Bossman's fun... you did the hard part already by carrying ehr for ine months and giving birth!!!!

    But the picture of you in your googles cracks me up!

    Hugs and love,
    Tiggs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you out there Grace? Are you OK??????

    Worrying... as Tiggrs are want to do!

    Huge hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete