My lovely daughter is 16 today.
Let me tell you about the day I found out I was pregnant.
It was our anniversary the week before. Our one year anniversary. We decided to go to Las Vegas. Neither of us had been as adults, so we thought it would be fun. We were both 21.
We woke up the day of the trip, and Bossman went out to fill the car with gas while I did last minute packing. 2 seconds after leaving, he was back. The car had been broken into the night before. The side rear window was broken out. The radio was gone. Instead of leaving for Vegas, we were filing police reports. Apparently there were numerous break ins in our area that night.
Should we cancel the trip? Nah, we were young and we wanted to get out of town. So we taped cardboard to our window, and left.
We ended up having a great time in Vegas. We had lots to talk about on the way, it was a 7 hr drive and with no radio, talking was all we had. We checked out all the sights, did some gambling. We walked and walked.
Now, unfortunately, I was pretty sure I was going to start my period any day. I had a prescription for *birth control in my purse, just waiting to be filled. In those days, you were suppose to wait until your period started before starting the pill.
So, we walked and walked and I was soooo tired. I had never felt this tired before. I knew my period was coming, but this was ridiculous. When we got back to the hotel room, I was bushed. I laid down for a minute and was out like a light. Poor Bossman thought I was sick.
But we did have a great time, and when we came home, I still hadn't started that period. I am pretty regular, so this was weird for me.
A few days after getting home, I stopped by to see my mom. I had pictures I wanted to show her. I mentioned that I hadn't started my period and she slyly asks, "do you think your pregnant?" Hmmm, I hadn't thought of THAT!
Oh my goodness! Do you think? Well, I told my mom, I don't know, I guess I'll wait a few more days and see. I'm sure I'll start any day.
A few hours later she calls me. "Did you know you can go down to the clinic and they will give you a pregnancy test?" "But, you have to go on Thursdays."
Tomorrow was Thursday. That night, I tell Bossman what I think. He's as surprised as I am. "Let's go tomorrow then."
Bright and early the next morning we head to the clinic. Bossman was the only male in the room. There were alot of women with lots of little kids running around.
I pee in the cup and then we wait...and wait...and wait....
Finally we are called in. I guess it's usually just a woman that goes, because there was only one chair to sit in. So Bossman had to stand. The doctor sits behind her desk and says..."Well, your test came back positive."
I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. I looked up at Bossman, who was standing next to me and he says..."So, uh, what does that mean?"
TOO FUNNY!
I bust out laughing. "It means we are going to have a baby!"
The look on his face was priceless. It was shocked, scared, worried and I think there was a little awe on his face as well.
It was a surprise to say the least, but it was a wonderful surprise! It was the best surprise. It was a magical day.
8 months later we had a beautiful bundle of love. All sugar, lots of spice.
16 years later, she is still sugar and spice. She's also wild and talented and free-spirited. She's part me, and part him. She's got his musical abilities and his curly hair. She's got my chin and my eyes. She's dramatic and she's kind. She's everything I wish I was, and some things I wish she wasn't. She's the best and the worst of both of us and I wouldn't have her any other way.
Sweet 16 and I love her to death!
later....
*I still have the birth control prescription. It's in her baby book!
Awwwww..... how cool. Let's see. My baby is 21 today. When I realized I was pregnant, I pulled out the old 45 of Loretta Lynn singing "Pregnant Again" and had it playing for Adam when he came home from work that day. He rolled his eyes as he picked up our 5 month old baby and greeted our two year old. And even that was magical.
ReplyDeleteHugs~
Eva
PS what time of day was the wildchild born? Offspring #3 was born at 5:45 pm
I am going to rename you. You are no longer Grace...T. You are now Nastalgia...you kept the BCP script! To cool!
ReplyDeleteSo what about the time of day as Eva asked. My son was born 7/11 at 10 til 11 weighing 7 pounds 10 ounces. He was destined for greatness with those numbers.
Ok the story is priceless, but my child is 2 years older than yours and we had Home Pregnancy test back then.
I was drying my hair and my robe flipped open. I exclaimed, "Who's tits are these?" That's how I new I was PG!
Great story from a great gal! Don't forget to tell us all about the party!
Hugs
Theresa
Happy B'day to Grace's daughter! (and Eva's #3)
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story, Grace.
"What does that mean?" Priceless *g*
When I found out I was pregnant, I actually had the packet of pills to start taking... I was just waiting for the end of my next period. I kept those pills in the bathroom drawer until we moved from the house 6 years later! She's almost 19 now, and like your child, she's the apple of my eye. Happy birthday to your daughter... and Eva's "baby."
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to tell my daughter the story of how I took four pregnancy tests because I was too afraid to believe they really were positive. I took one here at the house and then made Gerald take me to Walgreens and we bought three more. I was sobbing the whole time we were in the store. I'm sure the Walgreens people either thought I was miserable about being pregnant or I was a raving lunatic.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, everything is done and I'm able to stop by to say...HI!!!
ReplyDeleteSo far birthday #16 is going fabulous! I ended up getting her a silver 16 necklace. She LOVES it. Her friends threw glitter all over her and now the bathroom is covered with glitter. She is at play practice now, but when she stopped home before practice she recieved a delivery of roses and candy and teddy bear from her Aunt in Vegas. It's her first delivery and she was so excited! She even got to sign for it!
She was born at 2:35pm. And yes, there were pregnancy tests back then, but can you believe it never crossed my mind? Besides, my mom said if I just got it all done at the clinic it would eliminate the step of doing it again at the docs and then having them send me to the OB. I don't know, I was only 21!!!
Well, guess the Princess needs to be picked up from practice. Thanks for all the birthday wishes!HUGS!
grace
grace
When I took the home pregnancy test with Mollie it was Valentine's day and Nick had already sent me roses. The first picture in her baby book is me with the stick showing positive and the roses.
ReplyDeleteMany happy birthday wishes to the Wild Child!
PK
Grace, such a lovely story and what a beautiful memory to share with your Wild Child.
ReplyDeleteI wish her all that you wish her.
Warm hugs,
Paul.
Glad to hear the birthday is going well. No kids yet, so no pregnancy test stories to share.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Luv,
Lily.
I'm getting to this post rather late... I've missed not only the party but the whole dang day!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, my daughter was conceived immediately following and Alabama concert... on a couch in a college dormitory commons room.
She was born on New Year's Day at approximately 12:37 a.m. in the front seat of the car as my then husband-to-be sped through red lights. We all went home from the hospital three hours later... healthy and happy.
I was wearing a fuzzy pink bathrobe that I HATED... a Christmas gift a week earlier from my folks. I loved being able to throw it away...
I found out I was pregnant with our son on Labor Day... and he was born exactly six months after our wedding anniversary, almost to the minute.
Hugs and love and happy birthday weeks to you and Eva...
Tiggs
OK the girl will be turning 17 soon. Where have you been!
ReplyDeleteIf you won't come out and play, I'll come get you!
Hugs
Theresa
Watch out, Grace... Theresa and I are arm-in-arm... do we have to go get PK, too????
ReplyDelete