So, to say my week has been stressful is.... an understatement!
Seems that whenever I am under tremendous stress I get cold sores. I hate cold sores. Kissing is a big problem. And ugly. I feel like everyone is just staring at my lip instead of me! They are also painful and they like to crack and bleed at night when I'm asleep.
Not that I've had much sleep this past week. The wildchild has been having a few complications. Nothing major, but it has been bleeding more than normal, and I've had to take her to the ER in the middle of the night to have it checked.
Fun, fun, fun!
But, yesterday was the one week post-op appointment. Remember when I said I had to drive over 50 miles to have the surgery? Well, yesterday, we drove 50+ miles for a 10 minute appointment and then drove back!
The good news, we didn't have to wait. The healing is coming along great!
The bad news, it was still bleeding some, so they put nitrate on the spots to try and stop it. OUCH for the wildchild.
The doctor said she had record size tonsils. I thought we should put her in the ginness book of world records. She didn't find that half as amusing as I did. Party pooper!
To say this has been a quiet week, would be an understatement. She hasn't spoken since the day of the surgery. The doc says she should start talking whenever it's comfortable for her. I hope she starts talking soon! School starts exactly one week from today!
She did have to go to school today and get her schedule. Of course they couldn't find it. She went with some friends, so the lady in the office thought my daughter was deaf! She thought her friend was her interpretor! How funny! The lady had to call me to find out some info and when she told me that I started laughing. Too funny! The kids thought it was pretty funny too and started making up funny sign language.
So, other than nursing my demanding daughter back to health...I have nothing new to report.
I'm hoping to get out of this nursing outfit soon.
Calgon, take me away!
Grace~ I get those dang cold sores worse than anyone I know. About two years ago, a friend gave me a tip on how to prevent them. It didn't stop them all but I got far fewer of them AND they weren't nearly as bad as I used to get. Wanna know the secret?
ReplyDeleteOlive leaf extract... take two a day for the rest of your life and you'll RARELY get those darned things again. Honest.
Hugs~
Eva
Maybe going back to school and being with friends (and, from the sound of it, having a good time) will help the wildchild feel better.
ReplyDeleteI loved your story about the office worker thinking she was deaf! It brought back a memory (which I'm now going to bore you with!) of my son having his tonsils out. He was only 3 but his tonsils had grown so huge that he couldn't breathe or eat and we finally talked someone into removing them. After the surgery the doctors were really anxious for him to start talking again, but he refused. Even after more than a week he still wouldn't talk no matter how much cajoling (and, I admit, bribery) we employed. One night when I was tucking him into bed I asked him to at least tell me why he didn't want to talk. He looked at me with the biggest, saddest eyes and said "because I don't sound like [me] anymore". It broke my heart.. he didn't recognize his own voice and it frightened him.
I'm so glad to be past all those childhood illnesses and surgeries!
Hoping you'll soon be out of the nursing business, too!
*big hugs* Suzy
I get cold sores when I'm stressed too! Abreva (tiny, ungodly expensive tube) is the best I've found for clearing them up relatively quickly, and I've even been able to ward them off with it if applied at the first tingle. But I'm going to try that olive leaf extract! (Thanks, Eva!)
ReplyDeleteI hope you get out of the nursing outfit soon and are soon irritated by her talking WAY too much on the phone!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteCarye
Maybe you will get out of the nursing buisness and be able to get into the naughty nursing buiness soon. Can't help with the cold sore, never had one. You make me grateful. I hope the talking begins soon. As much as Mollie can irritate me by talking too much I hate it when she feels too bad to do it!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
PK
PK never got a cold sore???
ReplyDeleteI hate you!
Ok, I really love you, but I hate you!
HUGS!
grace
Grace, I hope that the Wildchild gets better very soon.
ReplyDeleteI don't get cold sores often but when I do they are horrible, there is an ointment costs about £7 for one gram that gets rid of them overnight.
Warm hugs,
Paul.
So glad the Wildchild is better! :) May the rest of her recovery be very speedy.
ReplyDeleteAs for cold sores, I've never had them but I have accidentally bitten my cheek or lower lip and caused a sore. Luckily, rarely, but still, I would imagine it's similar to a cold sore. I bit my inner lower lip very hard last week and omg! Because it swelled up, I kept biting the same stupid spot again almost every time I ate something and it become so unbelievably sore.
It has just now finally healed up although there is still a little bump there. And it seems I've passed this on to Lucy, too. She bit the side of her cheek so hard a few months back that it bled and bled and she was very sore for several days.
Then about a month later after it had healed, she did it again while we were out at a restaurant. She had tears in her eyes and I'm like "what" and she told me what she'd done. We had to ask the waitress for ice which sort of helped but she had to go home.
I don't know what's wrong; our teeth are too big for our jaws or what?!? But it sucks. My sympathies to you; I hope your sore goes away very quickly.
I'm so sorry about the cold sore. I think the upcoming senior year will do wonders for the wild childs healing!
ReplyDeleteHuggs
Theresa