RANT

Ok, this is a rant about a church. Just to clarify things, I am a Christian and I go to church regularly. This rant is NOT about my church. If you feel a rant about a church will upset, please feel free to click on one of the links on the side.
Now, lets let the ranting begin...shall we???


GGGGGRRRRRR...... I am so mad I could spit! Ok, I did spit and I'm still mad!

Here's the story. You all know that my sister recently had a baby. Not that I'm biased but he is probably one of the cutest babies EVER!!! He has the cutest little cubbie cheeks. He's got the cubby baby legs....WAIT...this is NOT about how adorable my nephew is!

Ok, Let me start the rant over.


My sister is unmarried. I KNOW! Lets all be shocked at the fact that my sister had a baby out of wedlock. Things like this just don't happen in todays world...do they??

My sis also lives with the babies daddy. AGAIN, shock! Close your mouths, I know it's shocking, but it's TRUE!

Now, my sis is planning a wedding. (After reading Ambers blog, this is making me nervous) But it's not happening until next summer.

ANYWAY, stop getting me off track, I'm trying to have a rant here!

So, my sister wants to have her baby dedicated in church. Do you see where this is going???

Now, my sis is not religious. The babies daddy goes to a non-denomination type church. My sister was starting to attend with him. They planned a baby dedication. They had the date and time. They had a bbq planned for after. It was all set!

So today, my sis comes to pick up her very cute and cubby little boy. (can you tell I'm in LOVE with this baby??) She is NOT happy. She says, the dedication is off.

Apparently, this church has said she can't dedicate her baby because she is living in sin with the babies daddy. SIN people. I would like to ask any of you reading this that are perfect and without sin to PLEASE e-mail me. I would REALLY like to meet YOU!

My sis was devastated. She could care less what everyone thinks of her, but for goodness sake, do we have to take it out on the baby?? What does this mean? Her baby isn't good enough for GOD because she is living in SIN??? GGGGGRRRRR

So, I called my own church. I asked my pastor what he thought. He said he would be happy to have a baby dedication. He said that anyone that is even thinking about religion for their child is doing a good thing.

Here's the bottom line. A baby dedication doesn't get you to heaven. A baby dedication is just the parents of an innocent child dedicating themselves to trying to raise their baby with God in their life.

It isn't a life and death situation, but in that moment, when my sister looks at me with tears in her eyes and asks me, why do they have to take it out on her baby? I realized that some people just have no heart.

I've always thought that church was the place where SINNERS go. Church was a place where you weren't supposed to be judged. Church is suppose to be a safe place. I realized today that even in church, you are not safe. You are still judged. You are still criticized for the way you live your life. It's just not fair.

I don't know whether my sister will accept the offer my church has given her. Although she was happy to know that not everyone in the world would shun her or her son, I think she may decide she doesn't need it. I DO know that my sister will NOT be attending that church that shunned her.

Sometimes I hate this world. It sucks. It's mean, it's hateful and it's full of pain. Do any of you remember the Coke commercial from the 70's? They are singing...

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony, I'd like to buy the world a coke and keep it company.

If only life could be like the commercials. We'd have hot chicks with beer, we'd have perfect harmony AND we'd all have really cute cars.

That and great b-o-l-o-g-n-a!

*shew* rant is over!

11 comments:

  1. Grace, that is simply horrible, perhaps the paster of your sister's late church needs to take a look as his/her christianity.
    I'm not a christian, but I so get your point.
    Warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely horrible. My best friend is catholic and she was able to baptize her out-of-wedlock baby while being divorced. Now I don't know a lot about catholicism but I do know that even divorce is frowned upon unless it's absolved in the church too. The priest said something about the child is innocent to the choices of the parents and good intentions are good intentions no matter what.

    That pastor needs a good hard look at the bible; I believe forgiveness is a cardinal rule!

    --luna
    http://www.the-iron-gate.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some "churches" (to include the pastor/minister/priest and congregation) tend to forget all about that throwing stones bit. I have even heard of churches that won't marry couples who are living together. Real smart---they don't approve, so the church will punish the couple by not letting them marry in that church. Seems to me that God is the one who is supposed to do any punishing? It is all very crazy....
    Hugs,
    Kallisto

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's disturbing to me that we seem to be going backwards as far as certain major religions go. Certain sects of Christianity and Islam are bound and determined to go back a couple of centuries to a much harsher and less compassionate mindset after steadily advancing in enlightenment over this last century. I have a lot of theories as to why, but I'll spare you all and save it for my own blog rant. *grins*

    It's especially disturbing that apparently the child is to suffer for her parents' "sins"; I thought as a civilization we'd outgrown that particular evil.

    I would like to know where their "pastor" got his degree, where he studied, why is he allowed to be called a spiritual teacher and guide in the first place? Like horseshoers, anyone can present themselves as a "holy" person.

    Clearly, this individual has a great deal more work to do on his own soul before he can hope to bring others "to the light".

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pastor has a boss and will have to answer to Him for what was done to your nephew. This is likely not the first time. What a fool, what a narrow minded, short sighted, sanctimonious, arrogant fool.

    I hope your sister will pursue having the dedication done at your church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry your sister and her son have been treated badly by someone who thinks they are Christian.
    Just remember as you already know only one perfect being has walked this earth and he will receive your newphew and your sister and all of us with open arms! His love reaches beyond small minded folk who call themselves Christian (followers of Christ?) A true Christian would behave as your Pastor and follow Christ's example.
    Hugs, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the picture of your nephew! He is perfect and anyone with any sense know. My son is the most wonderful young man in the world, smart, good looking, funny, caring, compassionate yet without ever having met him so very many 'churches' would condemn him for being the person God created. I have many rants about many ministers!!

    I hope your sister take you fine church up on its offer!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  8. The nerve! How on earth do they feel like that is honoring God's mission of reaching out to people? They need to take a long hard look at themselves and the Pharisees in the mirror. It's a good thing we don't have to depend on people to accept us into heaven! I'll be praying for your sister and her boyfriend - it would be a shame for such narrow-minded, self righteous behavior to turn them away from building a stronger relationship with God. You can bet those jerks weren't speaking for Him when they did this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so angry I could spit. Man I spit and I am still ticked. The sad reality is there are a lot of churches that are like this.

    And I am as hurt and offended as your sister. I had a baby out of wedlock. I lived with a man who I was not married to. And you know what I am not perfect and I do sin, but the above offenses were not my sins. How in the heck could I or anyone think of the birth of a baby be a sin, and trying to start a family with the father is sin.

    There are lots of churches like this, don't let them upset you. They may believe, but they have no christian spirit. Don't let them get you down.

    I am own your side, and I feel your anger!

    Lots of love
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace, I'm checking the date. This is 2007 right?

    Honest to Pete, what has happened to this country in the last 8 years? Right wing, high moral mucky mucks. This is an Eva growl if ever there was one. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

    I wish you and your sister the best on this one. Absolutely shameful behavior on the part of any church.

    A big hug for you, your sister and the cute one,

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your pastor has some common sense. Have always wondered why some churches think they can guide folks to a more moral life (from their perspective) by excluding them. Is that how Jesus did it?

    Todd & Suzy

    ReplyDelete