A diva was born


Seventeen years ago today, at 2:30 in the afternoon my life changed forever.

You burst on the scene, like the diva you are, and of course, the attention was immediately on you. If anyone knows how to make an entrance, you do.

As quickly as you entered my life, they whisked you away.

4 hours later, I was properly introduced.

You were a scrawy little thing. Red and yellow are the colors that I think of when thinking of you at that time. But to me, you were the most beautiful thing on the planet. I introduced myself to you, as usual, you weren't that interested. You were already trying to figure out how to get the most attention.

Turns out, you were the only princess born that day. Turns out, you were MY princess.

The next day we got to know each other. You settled into the world, content to know that everyone around you was going to meet your needs. You already knew that you were in control. I didn't mind.

While in the nursery, a children's school class was having a field trip. They peered through the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of a newborn diva. Lucky for them, you were there.

The nurse held you up to the window for everyone to see. Your first of many, public appearances. I should have known then that you would always steal the spot light.

Looking back, I remember looking down at you and wondering, what will she look like? What will she like doing? What will her talents be? How will she, change my world?

Now, I look at you and wonder, how did I get so lucky as to have such a wonderful person in my life? I didn't know, the day that you were born, what a wonderful person you would be. I didn't know you would be such a great big sister. I didn't know you would have such a talent for music and singing.

So, on this very special day, the anniversary of the day I met you, I would like to say......

I love you.

You will make a mark on the world. You have already made a mark on me. As you grow and move on to adulthood remember......Our family would not be complete without you.

Happy Birthday Wildchild!

Love Mom

11 comments:

  1. Awe... that's beautiful... mind if I steal it, tweak it, and pass it on to offspring #3 who happens to be 22 today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky she is! Happy Birthday Wildchild!

    And now ... the fun really begins! *g*

    ~lotsa hugs to you and all the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday Wildchild!

    Carye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your Diva. I do hope you gave her a copy of this letter. She will probably roll her eyes now and give you that teenage look, but one day...it will bring tears to her eyes like it did those of us that read it here. thank you for sharing.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tribute for your daughter.Happy Birthday Wildchild.

    *hugs and grins*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, Wildchild! Strange how our children can keep getting older while we stay the same.

    A line from an old TV show keeps running through my mind. As an angel talks to a mother about the impending birth of her baby she says "You're not only meeting your daughter you're meeting the person who will be holding your hand when it's your time to go". I have always found that comforting.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace, this is beautiful, thank you for sharing, you also are wonderful.
    Happy birthday Wildchild, I hope that it was great.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your "little" girl, Grace! :) Don't they grow up fast, though?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace,
    You are the luckiest of women two lovely, healthy, happy children. And your dear Bossman too. Happy birthday to your Wildchild!

    Love,
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday Wildchild
    I have one that just turned 24 in October and my baby will be 16 on Dec.27. The years are moving too quickly.. celebrate and enjoy them while you can. In the last year i've seen my son go from a boy to a man. I love the letter . Hope she gets a chance to see it!

    ReplyDelete