I always thought 3am was just a blip on the clock that showed up right around the time I have to pee. Usually I just shuffle myself into the bathroom and shuffle myself back to bed while half way sleeping.
Weird that I'm up right now.
I slept a little. Finally I snuck out of bed. I had to sneak because it seemed that every time I moved Bossman would reach out to hold me. Not a bad thing, but really, the man needs his sleep.
So, what should we talk about? The weather? Ok.
Since I'm over here on the west coast, the weather has been pleasant. BUT, they say starting Sunday we will have massive rains until Friday. I mean, they are telling us to start building the ark. I don't mean to be negative, but since our weather is so boring around here, I find this really hard to believe. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Well, what else is going on in my life?
Oh, my sister got rear-ended by a drunk driver yesterday. (or is that today? What day am I on anyway?) Of course this happened about an hour after I told her the bad news. Oh, wait. He wasn't drunk. He was high on prescription drugs. REAL high. So high that when he hit her and they pulled over, he forgot to put the car in park and so the car hit her again. AND then when he got out of the car, the car rolled and hit her a third time. Everyone is fine....thank goodness! And the guy is safely behind bars...for the time being.
What else is new you ask?
Oh, I have cancer.
Wow. Did I just type that? I have to stare at that for a few minutes. Here, talk amongst yourselves. Topic: Pat Robertson and Haiti.
All pissed off now? Me too! Lets get back to cancer.
Wow, I just typed it again. AND, I just realized I may have to make this blog private. Either that, or I'm going to have to find some other way to refer to my "illness". You know...google and all that....Oh good, something else for me to worry about! (don't worry, I'll give any and all the password if I go private. I seriously can't go this alone. I need you all!)
Lets back track, shall we?
Yesterday, I typed out my experience with the biopsy. If you missed that post, go down a couple...it's right there. I just finished it and pressed publish so all you fine people could read about how much fun I had. I proof read the post....I always proof it after I publish...for some reason I catch all the mistakes there. Then I clicked to my new favorite website failblog.org. Oh how I love that site. I stop by there two or three times a day. I can't seem to get enough of it. Anyway.....
My cell rings. My doc never calls on my cell, so I didn't think anything of it.
It's the doc. "Did you get the results yet?" "UH, no" " Well, It is the big "C"." (ok, SHE didn't say big "C" but I really shouldn't be saying the C word over and over in this blog. Not only is it hard to type and read, but the good people searching google will end up finding me and since my mother will probably be googling it I might want to think about that...anyway...I'm don't think I'll stick with the big "C"... I'm just trying to find something that works. Any suggestions?)
So, I hear the word and my mind just started buzzing. She's still talking..."blah, blah, blah" and I don't hear a word. I try to listen. I hear something about 2 appointments and oncology doctor...but nothing else really computed at that point.
I hang up the phone and I'm not sure what to do next. I feel myself about to fall apart into a million pieces. The wildchild is the only one home and she hadn't yet emerged from her cave. I grab my phone...no, wait, I think I was already holding my phone, and I start walking toward my bedroom. Just as I'm about to pass the wildchilds door, she opens it. I immediatly fall apart. I tell her I have...well, you know.
She hugs me and I cry. Then I realize, I should NOT be doing this to the wildchild. I straighten up and mumble something about calling Bossman. "Don't worry mom, it will be fine."
I go into the bedroom and try and call Bossman. It's one of those times where you really don't want to hear voicemail. Guess what...cell phone voice mail...work voicemail. I call my mom...voice mail. What the heck people? Answer your phone already.
A second attempt at Bossman and he answers. I blurt out...you know...he's quiet for a second and then says he's coming straight now. I'm crying now....so I just say "OK" and hang up. Then my mom calls back. She immmediatly says, "So, what did the doc say?" I choke out the word again. All I hear is "Oh god.....oh-my-GOD!" Then she says...I'm coming over.
I then had a few minutes and didn't know what to do with myself. I walked all the way around the house 2 times and then sat at the computer and wrote the last post. Then I got my phone and texted the twins. Then...I couldn't stop. I had to do something and since the only thing I could do was call people...that's what I did.
Bossman walks in the door and I run to him and start sobbing. He held me tight and I sobbed. Then I sat down on a stool...he kneeled in front of me and he prayed. HARD! More happened in that moment, but it's something he and I shared together.....
After that I kept walking around the house in a daze and he went and made some phone calls. I thought they were work related, but he called our Pastor and he and his wife came right over. By the time they got here, my mom arrived and we all cried and read the Bible and prayed. Although still in a daze, it was comforting.
The whole time my mind kept screaming...."Why ME!" I kept thinking I can't do this...I'm not brave. I'm not like D. How will I look bald? I'm a big baby, I'm not going to be able to do this.....
But, guess what? I have to. I have no choice! I go on Wednesday at 8am to talk to a surgeon. Me! Talking to a surgeon. I'll find out all about my little tumor and what my options are. I guess this means I'll have to have surgery. My mind can't think of that right now. Surgery? *shudder*
All I can think about is the worst. And what about my kids.
When the little man came home from school, I told him. By the time he got home, I was a little more composed. The Pastor had left and so just my mom was here. I dont' remember what I said, but I remember telling him it was going to be ok. He seemed to take it ok....but he's such a sensitive little boy...I don't know how this will affect him yet. It's so sad. No child should have to deal with a parent being sick. Am I sick? I don't feel sick yet.
Well, I don't know what else to say. My mind won't shut off, but if I don't go back to bed, Bossman will be out here looking for me soon and I really should get some sleep.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement! They mean more to me than you will ever ever know.
I guess I'll say goodnight now.....or is it good morning?
Your first instinct was to do all the right things - tell the people you love, get support, pray, cry and make plans to fight it. Half of my friends are breast cancer survivors and I know you'll be among them! Go ahead and get mad, scream, cry and hold on to those you love. That's what it takes to win this battle! Meow
ReplyDeleteI'm not wild about that 3:00 AM blip on the clock myself. But I'm glad you took the time to talk to us. I guess you know how I feel about blogging. I hope you will feel comfortable leaving yours public. There are so many people that read that will never come forward and ask you for an invitation but they still care so much and I for one one want their prayers to continue to wing their way heavenward.
ReplyDeleteBut you will need a name for this unwanted intruder. Its a lot like a fat, stupid, lazy, brother-in-law (is fslbil to long?) that moves in on you unexpectedly and wants to hang around. You will get rid of the SOB eventually but it's going to be a pain in the ass for a while.
Don't worry about not thinking you're brave. No one starts out 'I think I'll be brave' You're just brave because you have no other choice. I'll be here talking your ear off and praying.
Love you,
PK
Waking up and not sleeping is the pits. Wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI think your brave. So glad you shared this with us Grace.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with PK, I hope you don't go private, stay here with us let us all be here for you. Scream, shout, swear, write when and what you want.
I will thinking and praying for you each day.
Love.
Ronnie
xx
Oh, shit.
ReplyDeleteHang in there, love. We're all in this with you, and we'll be strong for you.
Love, hugs and prayers,
Hermione
*hugs* that's all i can think of to do...just some positive thoughts and hugs
ReplyDeleteHi, honey,
ReplyDeletePOSITIVE THINKING!!!! Thats what gets you through. I did not want to second guess what it was when you told us, because I didn't see the point in shying away from it. God wants you healthy. God wants everyone healthy. This bloody disease has everyone in blind panic when they hear the word. It would have me that way too. But,I prayed for you to have strength...and you will, you WILL have the strength you need to face this head on, and send it from you.
You COULD call it BUB! short for Be-Elzebub .... because it comes from the devil and it IS the bloody devil.
DO NOT be afraid of it...rest in God, He will see you through this. Hang on to your faith. We are told to pray for healing, and then praise God FOR that healing, accept we have been healed, believe, have faith, even before it materialises. I have more friends who have survived, than not; one positive thing they all have said while living through it, is that it changes all your priorities for the better.
We are all here for you, Grace; each and every one of us.
I will add you to my prayer list; alongside D and others...your whole family, your whole support network; especially your immediate family, wildchild, bossman and the little man. Keep in touch. Hugs and prayers, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
oh my gosh, more friends who have survived than not.... sounded dreadful...sorry...let me clarify... the 2 who did not, had just had babies, and that is the worst time. Yet I have 60 or more friends who have lived through this; and one who is now well into her 70s, who has survived over 30 years since!!!
ReplyDeleteAs you said, you breastfed, you did all the right things, you are strong and healthy, you found it promptly and sought help immediately; you have given yourself a winning ticket and given the medical team the edge they need to get you over this and living your life to the full.
Love, prayers n hugs, Daisy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here. Always here. Love you. Praying. Praying hard. It's gonna be okay. You all will remember 2010 as the year "mom kicked the big C's ass."
ReplyDeleteGrace less than a week ago we were all hoping it was benign. But we never give up hope. Hope just changes. Now we hope for a successful treatment, and I am confident that will happen.
ReplyDeleteAngels are working overtime, taking down all the prayers being sent for you.
Lots of love
Theresa
Love you, praying for you. And if you ever need to chat at 3 AM, I'm generally up. :)
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Tracy
Grace, praying for you all, you will beat this thing.
ReplyDeleteSending you Love, strength, healing and positive thoughts.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
Aw, Grace. 3 am sucks as does the diagnosis. I'm praying for you. You have your real world support system and that's essential and you also have all of us. We love you and we'll be with you through thick and thin.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Debbie :)
I was just walking around my house and realized what I had written. I'm sorry, Grace and all. I didn't mean to imply that we were not real. We are, but we are all miles and continents apart and your immediate support system is right there to hold and hug you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry and I hope my post doesn't offend anyone.
Debbie :)
hi grace,
ReplyDeleteI've been following your blog for about a year now and I just wanted to tell you I am praying for you and your familiy. I know it's scary because my mom is a breast cancer survivor. You're very fortunate, It took them over a year to diagnose my mom's problems as breast cancer and by then she had to have a mastectomy on her left side. It's been six years and she's happy and healthy. and she never had to lose her hair. I can't promise you wont but there is alot of new technology and medicines. Keep you chin up. It's the best thing you can do. I'll be crying and praying for you.
I am praying for you every-step-of-the-way. My family, the real one, is lifting you before the throne of grace and believing God for your healing. Gracie, remember, he is with you always, especially at 3am.
ReplyDeleteAnd last thing, the prayers of the righteous availeth much.
CD
PS, let me know and I will fill your email with plenty of gospel to keep you company at 3a.
Grace
ReplyDeleteI read all the time but I do not comment often--I always enjoy your writing--I will keep you in my prayers
cathy