It turns out, that is exactly what I meant. I am going to spank the cancer. I'm going to spank it right out of my body! The strop, backscratcher and paddle are all things that the cancer deserves....and more.
I have to admit. I'm a little worried about how all this cancer stuff is going to affect me. Since the cancer I have is fed by estrogen, it looks like I'll be taking an anti-estrogen medicine....for at least 5 years. Apparently it blocks the estrogen from attaching to the breast tissue. I'll still have some estrogen. Apparently the side effects include all the menopausal stuff. So, early menopause, here I come. What has me worried is how this will affect my sex life. I KNOW. Sounds stupid when I'm fighting cancer to be worried about my sex life...but lets face it...it IS an important part of my life.
I don't want to lose that part of me. I don't want to lose what is between Bossman and me. I don't want to lose the spanking either. That was why I decided to keep this a spanking, cancer, blog. Because I'm hoping that spanking will still be a part of my life and I hope I spank the cancer too!
Yesterday, I had a blood test. This test is to test my genes. They want to see if I carry the gene that makes breast and ovarian cancer hereditary. Since I'm so young, and I don't know my full family health history (my father was adopted) they just want to see if I carry the gene. My doctor thinks I probably don't have the gene...but for peace of mind, we want to see if I do.
If I do....well, the reoccurance of breast cancer and ovarian cancer skyrocket. Some people opt to have their healthy breasts and ovaries removed when they have this gene. The general population has an 8 percent chance of getting breast cancer, if you have the gene...your chances go up to 87 percent.
I won't find out the results for a couple of weeks. If I have the gene, my sister and my children have a 50 percent chance of also having the gene.
So what do you think? Knowing the odds, would you opt to have a full double mastectomy if you had the gene? If you had an 87 percent chance of getting cancer...what would you do?
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Grace, we just have to pray that you don't have that genetic heritage.
ReplyDeleteI would wait until you know before even thinking of your choices.
My wife had breast cancer some time back, at the time we were told that it was hormone induced.
Since then new research seems to indicate that this is not necessarily so.
It might be worth checking out.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
I don't think it crazy at all to worry about your sex life. The cancer is only here for a little while - your life with Bossman goes on another 50 to 60 years! I think you need to talk to your doctors about this concern. Let them know that your sex life is important to you and that while you're willing to take the treatment you may need they need to advise you and recommend ways you can counter any of the temporary negative effects on your sex drive that these treatments may cause.
ReplyDeleteI can tell you (and Nick will back me up) that menopause alone will not kill your sex drive and I can sure tell you that spanking still works GREAT after 'the change'. Did you realize that I was at the beginning of menopause when I first came out to Nick.
What would I do if I had the gene. I'll tell you after you get the results. Of course I can give you the real answer right now - I don't know. But you got me wondering and I've been giving it a lot of thought.
Now I have to stop thinking and get back to my busy week - Monday and Tuesday off for snow. Wednesday and Thursday delays (time to feed the kids and send them home) and more ice coming in tonight - don't expect to go Friday. My kinda week!
Grace, this does give pause for thought. Like PK, my immediate answer is, "I don't know". I would certainly give it thought. I know this probably doesn't help you in any way.
ReplyDeleteAs for you blog, it looks pretty cute right now! Just so you know - it is your blog. You say whatever the hell you want. Ok? :)
Knowing the odds were against me I would have the double mastectomy. Better safe than sorry.
ReplyDeleteKristy
I've had two friends who went with double mastectomies. Both had had breast cancer and whipped it, but they are carrying the gene. They opted to remove their breasts and one even blogged the entire process in words and photos.
ReplyDeleteI remember how terrified I was of opening the photos - they were links rather than images (in her words) so as not to freak people out when they landed on her site :)
I've never gotten over the amazing progress the medical community has made in breast reconstruction. When they were finished there was nothing more than a few well-hidden scars and the women had perfect, beautiful breasts. One of them is a stripper by trade so that worked out very well.
Honestly... It made me want new boobs too ;)
I hope your results come back clean, but if not you shouldn't fear choosing the removal option.
I'd rather remove and let the Docs work their magic than spend years on anti-estrogen meds with no guarantees it will even work. What is life without passion?
What's on the outside doesn't make you a woman. It's what you carry inside of you that makes you the woman you are, passionate, humourous, ornery and brilliant.
These are the gifts that you bring to the world-- and to those who love you.
Sending healing hugs your way...
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I'm humbled by your strength and fiery spirit. And your honesty in facing your fears. Thank you.
PS. The site looks beautiful. It suits you purrrrfectly.
Paul, I'm checking out all the options. Sometimes all the options are overwhelming. I'm sorting through them one at a time. I'm so glad your wife came through it ok.
ReplyDeletePK, your week is sounding really rough... I hope you can handle it. Try not to think to hard, I don't want you to hurt anything!
Debbie, it does make one think, doesn't it? I'm hoping I don't have to worry about it. As for saying whatever the hell I want....you got it girl!
Kristy, thanks for stopping by. I hear ya on the safe than sorry thing. Of course Bossman thinks we shouldn't fix something that isn't broken. But, if it could get broken...we'd try and make it so it didn't...right??
T-, Thanks for stopping by. I am in love with my new template! I couldn't have done it without my friend Ceeci though...she is the genius. I am encouraged by your friends stories. It's nice to hear the good stories instead of only the bad. I'm hoping I don't have the gene and won't have to worry about it...but really, the minute I found out I had cancer, I realized I'd always be worried about it. But I will carry on and be all the better for it.
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. You all are the reason I still come here!
HUGS!
grace
Grace, I love your new look, its beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHard one to answer Grace, I would want to know the whole facts, talk to the doctors and then talk to women who have had both breast removed but in the end the decision would be down to you. I'm thinking I probably would have both removed.
It's good that you can talk about it Grace and thank for sharing all this with us.
Love.
Ronnie
xx