I did get a rather disturbing card. It's from a lovely lady that goes to my church. She's a real sweet-heart, so I know the card came from the right place...but nevertheless, it's disturbing. It's a sympathy card. Complete with words like..."in your time of sorrow" and "with all my sympathy". As I was reading it, a thought crossed my mind. WHO DIED? Thank goodness I have a sense of humor! I know it was given from a place of love and concern, but geez....it just was a little too much! Oh well.
Also, while we are talking about things inappropriate....let's talk about another woman from my church. (Listen, I know I shouldn't gossip...but really, this stuff is priceless! It must be shared!) Anyway, this lady that goes to my church is sort of on the annoying side. She's nice enough, but there have been some incidents that have...well...let's just say, she's really annoying! She called one night and I wasn't home. I thought I dodged the bullet. NOPE. She called back and I didn't know it was her. Now....don't get me wrong. It is very, very nice of her to call and find out how I was doing. I appreciate all the kind thoughts and well wishes. BUT....some people just don't know what to say.
She starts out by asking how I was doing. I tell her I'm fine....just waiting around for surgery. I ask how she is doing. 10 minutes later, I have found out all about her problems...including, arm surgery, knee surgery, her husbands gout and her dogs digestive problems. Then...and this is the part that makes me laugh. She tells me to keep my chin up and that I need to watch funny movies. That's right...funny movies. She tells me it will help me feel better. Also, she said I should tell jokes as then I will be able to make everyone around me feel better.
Um, seriously?
I get that humor makes people feel better. I've heard that. It makes sense that you wouldn't want to be depressed all the time and funny things are good for the soul....but...but...
Oh man. I just want you to know that it took a lot of strength to not LAUGH my ASS off right there on the phone.
You know what....just thinking about that phone call makes me feel SOOOOOOOO much better!
*disclaimer* I know she meant well, they all do. Frankly, both the card and the call made my day! I got a great laugh from both! And really, that's what it's all about~
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Grace, people mean well, that is their saving grace, pun intended. :D
ReplyDeleteStill praying and hoping.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.