Cancer can be fun!

Today was my kind of day!

Since I had one of my lymph-nodes removed, I get to see a physical therapist. This is because I could, in a rare instance, develop lymphodema. It will be rare for me because I only had one removed, but it could happen and so they want to prepare me. Things for me to be careful of are making sure I don't have blood pressure done on that arm, making sure I don't have blood drawn or IV's on that arm.

Also, I can't do my drugs on that arm...and since it's my left arm and I'm right handed, that makes shooting myself up really really hard! *

Today was my PT appointment. I went yesterday for a consult, but today was the real deal. See, not only do I have to worry about lymphodema, but since the surgery, I can't really move my arm all the way over my head. Apparently, this is important. I find it's only important on those occasions when I feel the need to wash my hair, but I guess they think it's more important than that. I think that as long as I can still type and work the remote, I'm fine.

So, today they were to teach me some exercises to stretch the arm and also to stretch the scar tissue so I will have full mobility of that arm and will fully be able to put shampoo on the top of my head!

My therapist is a nice lady, probably in her 60's. BUT, for all intents and purposes, let's pretend she was a Swedish man in his late 20's by the name of Sven.

Sven asked me to take off my shirt and put a gown on. Right away, I'm confused. I thought I was going to do some stretching. But, it's Sven and so I took my shirt off.

Sven then guided me through some fairly boring stretching exercises. But suddenly, things got a little more interesting. Sven brings out a cane!

Ok, so maybe it wasn't exactly a cane, but it was a stick closely resembling a cane. Or, maybe a broomstick, but for this story, lets call it a cane!

Sven showed me how to stretch the left side with the cane. He showed me the proper way to hold the cane and the proper way to bend, with the cane. Very informative, Sven is!

After we finished with the cane, we moved on to corner time. Yes, you heard right, corner time. Sven had me stand in the corner with my arm stretching up the wall. I had to stand there for a few minutes, stretching my arm up and down the corner. Sven told me I was doing very well.

Corner time was over before I knew it. Time flies when having fun, I tell ya. After corner time, Sven asks me to lay down. Sven turns off the light and tells me he's going to teach me some massage techniques. I have to know how to massage the area if lymphodema should occur.

Sven then massages my arm, my pecs and my side. Then Sven says he must massage the scar area. Hence the reason I had to wear a gown. Sven massages both of the scar areas. (I have a scar from the lymph node and one from the lumpectomy.) Sven says the scar tissue can make the area tight and that is why I'm not able to shampoo my head. So, in case you are wondering, Sven massaged my boob!

Sadly, we ended there for the day. I get to go back to Sven four more times!

See, I bet you all are extremely jealous now!

Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

*P.S. I don't really do drugs, but if I wanted to I can't. Why is it the minute someone tells you you can't do something, you want to do it?

7 comments:

  1. Grace, isn't it great when you can kinkify things, makes it much more fun.
    Glad that you are feeling up, that's the way to go.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sven sounds wonderful! Both descriptions of him. LOL! I like the idea of corner time - had Bossman found a good place in the new house? I try to keep all our corners full in case Nick ever thinks of this.

    Paul is right, kinking thing up always improves what ever it is.

    Love you girl
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, loved how you looked at things. MMM, Cane, COrner TIme, Sven, Bet you can't wait to go back,lol. Praying for you and your family. I too think that as long as you can work the keys on pc and the remote, things are fine. Guess they want you to be able to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was pretty cool girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats my girl... fantasise all you want to get you through this...what a great idea... can I come too? Wonder if "Sven" would spank your bottom a little for not doing your exercises at home, lol... or, maybe we better just get Bossman to take care of that, eh? God bless you, and all the family, still praying for you all. Keep up the positive attitude!
    Hugs, xxxxxxxxxxxx Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace you can shoot up between your toes! Hey I gotcha back girl!

    Flying shortly after your surgery can bring on the lymphodema, also. Did they tell you that? Well I think you're safe since you didn't fly. I had a friend that flew to Denver within the first month following her surgery, and she got it.

    So don't fly for a whilte!

    Glad you are recovering!

    Love and Huggs!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace, I laughed reading this. I'm glad you feel well enough to put this kind of a spin on things. Being positive and humorous. Not a bad thing, at all!

    Hugs,
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete