The docs appointment went well. As well as can be expected when going to an oncologist.
Everything about my cancer is good. Let's just say, if you get breast cancer, you want my kind. So while that all sounds great there are decisions to be made.
My cancer is stage 1. That is a good thing. My tests came back low for recurrence, so again, that's a good thing.
Now here's the dilemma. Right now, with the treatment course I'm going to be on, I have a 90 percent chance of not getting cancer again, or in another part of my body. IF, I decide to do chemo, the percentage goes up to 93 or 94.
Right away you are probably saying, screw the chemo! Which is exactly what I first thought. But, I asked the doc if he was married. (he was cute...but not as cute as Bossman!) Anyway, I asked him if this was his wife's test results, what would he tell her to do.
He said he would tell her to do the chemo. Then he said it's because he knows that chemo is not that bad. Other than losing your hair, the side effects are manageable. So Says He.
BUT, he said if she didn't want to do the chemo, he would be fine with that too.
So.....what's a gal to do? What would YOU do?
Here's the problem with numbers.
90 percent seems like good odds...right? If you had a 90 percent chance of winning the lotto, you'd play. If you had a 90 percent chance of getting in a car accident, you'd walk. See, the odds are good.
But what about the 10 percent?
Let me put it to you this way....
Out of all the population in the world, if you are a woman, you have an 8 percent chance of getting breast cancer. 8 percent.
Guess what.....I got breast cancer. I'm part of the 8 percent.
So....even though I still have a 90 percent chance of never getting cancer again.....
I will always worry about that 10 percent. Because I beat the odds once and I don't like it very well.
So, with that in mind, do I bump up my odds to 93 or 94 percent? Or should I just be happy with the 90 percent and carry on with my life?
Cancer.....there are no good answers!
Written while ignoring laundry by::
I hate being a grown up and having to decide things for myself. I enjoyed talking to you, lets see we discussed medical marijuana the the proper use of scarfs, the rest is up to you!!
ReplyDeleteLove you !!!
PK
Grace, praying for you and your family as you make this decision.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGrace, my wife had type 3 breast cancer, the most virulent type, she had to have both chemo and radio therapy.
ReplyDeleteThis was eleven plus years ago, she didn't lose her hair, and she is still going strong.
This is something only you and Bossman can decide.
I pray that you make the right decision, you are both in my thoughts.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
My SIL had to have chemo, she lost her hair, wore scaves, walked around bald and then decided to get a wig which looked fantastic on her, in fact we all remarked she looked better with it than she did before she lost her hair. That's the truth.
ReplyDeleteYes she had other side affects which she managed with, everyone who has chemo is different.
It's a damn hard decision Grace and I know Bossman will be there to support you whatever is decided but Grace it's your decision in the end.
Love and hugs to you all, your in my thoughts.
Ronnie
xx
I can't tell you what to do here, sweetie, but I'm sure praying for you to make the right decision!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Tracy
Grace I am also praying for you and yesterday I sat with my sister while she underwent her first of 4 chemo treatments for a stage 2. Today she is back at work and they told her she might not lose her hair. Good luck making the decision it sure is a tough one.
ReplyDeleteFondly, Meg