an email to a friend

Dear PK
I am a horrible friend! Simply horrible! I haven't emailed you in ages and that's just not right. My only excuse, and believe me it's not a very good one, is that I do most of my web surfing on my ipad and it's such a pain to type with, that I only comment or email if it's going to be something short and sweet.

I saw from your posts that you had a great holiday! We had a nice one too. I think we hung around too much around the house, Bossman said he needed a vacation from his vacation. Whatever! I had a great time!

The day after New Years, we decided to paint our game room. Our game room is ginormous! (Is ginormous a word?) We had to buy a special pole to paint the ceiling and a ladder for the trim. We are STILL working on this room, but it's looking awfully pretty! The day after we starting painting, the wildchild informed me that she got a DUI. The day after that my son got in trouble with the sheriff.

Oh wait...did you want more details? I was hoping to sail right by that sentence and pretend it didn't exist.

Apparently, in the beginning of December, my daughter got a DUI. I guess she was 2 points over the limit. Luckily her car didn't get impounded. She had a friend pick her up from jail. (oh how proud I am to type this sentence) Her court date was the end of December and her friend took her to court. She didn't hire an attorney so the public defender took her case. She lost her license for 3 months, she has to pay 2300 dollars and she has to sign up for a 3 month class, which costs 400 dollars. Once she signs up for the class, she can get a restricted license, which she can use to drive to work and school. Oh, did I mention she lost her job in the middle of December? She didn't get fired, she got laid off, the company moved to Las Vegas. But, no job means no money.

Of course I didn't find out about the DUI until she told me last week. She didn't ask for money. She's waiting for unemployment. I'm so proud!!!

Amazingly enough, Bossman didn't have a fit. Oh, he was mad....as was I, but he didn't fly off the handle. He said we were NOT helping her with her fines, or anything related to the DUI. She was going to have to figure out how take care of it. Apparently she can work some of it off with community service. Did I mention how PROUD I am?

I am so upset that she could do that. Every time she leaves this house I say, "Don't drink and drive." and she always yells back....I KNOW!

She claims she was the most sober of her friends and she really didn't think she was over the limit. She said she was surprised when they did the breathalyzer and it was over. It's so EASY for someone to think they are sober when they aren't. I told her I was actually glad she got pulled over because she might have gotten into an accident on the way home. She could have killed herself or others! GAH!

She's not a a bad kid, but she sure makes some dumb decisions!!!

As for my son....it's kind of a funny story.

My son was spending the night a a friends house. Bossman is on the phone with a friend when I get a call on my cell from the little man.

The conversation goes something like this:

little man: Mom, we got in serious trouble.

Me: What? what kind of trouble?

little man: Just come down by K's house......

Me: Whaaaa?????

new voice: Hello Ma'am, this is Officer Smith from the sheriffs department.

Me: Oh......Oh Hi.

Officer Smith: Your son and his friends were door-bell ditching a friend from school. They did it a couple of times and the parents got upset about it so they called us out.

Me: Oh...oh wow. (I am a woman of many words!) Where should I pick him up?

Officer Smith: It's ok, we will let them walk home.

Me: ok, thanks officer.

end call.

I hang up and Bossman asks what's up. I tell him. He goes to pick him up from his friends.

Bossman gets there and they have 8 boys sitting on the curb with their heads in their laps. Bossman says there were 3 cop cars and 4 officers. All with the their lights on.

Bossman said the cops were laughing about it and shaking their heads. When they saw the mad dad show up, they just asked...which one is yours and let my son go with him. My son was the one with the red eyes, crying, but in a manly way...LOL

The little man was very upset when he got home. I could tell he'd been crying. He said he was just following along with the other kids and he didn't even want to do it. Yeah...right!

I have to admit...the whole thing is funny! But he is not allowed at friends houses for at least a month.

Have a mentioned how proud I am of my two criminal children? I am raising such upstanding citizens!

So, that was my week. How was yours?

HUGS!
Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww.... Grace, isn't that why we had our kids in the first place, to add excitement to our lives? Maybe they do it to help you and bossman stay close, you know 'us against them'. Either way I'm glad you're surviving and I'm glad you posted/emailed.

    I'm beginning to hate Ipads and the like. When I hear from Eva it's only a short sentence because she's on her iphone. I don't hear from CeeCi at all. I sure miss the old days.

    I love you,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Grace, don't be mad at them. Be glad! All youngsters have to learn, and, sad to say, the best way to learn is not to just blindly obey parents who tell them how to behave, but by suffering the consequences of their own decisions.
    They both spread their wings, made their own (bad) decisions, no real harm was done, no-one got hurt, but by golly, this will have scared the **** out of them and next time "friends" suggest something stupid, your two will remember the shame, embarrassment, and consequences of these recent events and have the courage to say, "hell, no!"

    You have clearly done a great job of raising them, because they had the guts to tell you they made a bad call, and they were obviously ashamed of their actions. Some kids think being pulled up by the police is a laugh, a status symbol, they have no respect for the law or others, and lie to avoid the punishment.
    Have a great 2012! xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,

    Glad to see you back online.
    Your children are NORMAL. These will be learning experiences for them and thankfully it wasn't any worse. I agree with you it is good she got pulled over. Now maybe she will never do this again. This will teach her in ways parental lecturing never could. Little man will now think twice about following the crowd. All in all not a bad thing. If this is the worst your children go through and they learn from their mistakes then they will be better for it. You are a great Mom. And you have Great kids, they just like many kids at times make poor decisions. HUGS, and more HUGS..

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, is it bad that I laughed? Not in a ha-ha way but a "I've been there" way.

    The police showed up at my door one day with my little man in tow and his friend because they had been throwing ROCKS at a commercial building not far from our home that they thought was empty.

    "We thought it was empty!"

    SO???? How is that excuse to THROW ROCKS??? OY!

    Good thing he grew up, married and has a child. Now I can finally relax because all his shennanigans are behind him. Well, or so I hope! ;)

    As for the girl-child, sorry about that but it also sounds like a good lesson for her. Although don't get me started on the whole blood level thing, I think it's too low. But I'm in the minority on that; I tend to get lectured and blasted by MADD types by even suggesting it go back to what it used to be a few years ago. Like I'm killing puppies right in front of their eyes by suggesting people can have two glasses of wine and still drive! ;)

    Glad you blogged again, missed you! ~~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This too shall pass. I have been where you are and my children too. I felt like an awful parent if my child could do such things. Bad decisions can be made by anyone. If they learn from them and there is no permanent damage all will eventually be well. Keep loving them. You don't have to love what they do to love them. You will get through this and someday be able to laugh again.

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling me I'm not a bad parent!

    I will admit, the whole thing is kinda funny! Of course not drinking and driving.....not that.

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids will be kids. I'm not proud of everything I did when I was a kid ut is all part of life's lessons. I enjoy listening to my daughter complain about the things her kids are doing. It's called justice. :)

    ReplyDelete