My sister-in-law is nuts. She's a drug addict and she drinks alot. She is over 30 and lives on peoples sofas. She hasn't had a job in 3 years and she's tried to kill herself 3 times in 3 years. Yes, the girl has issues!
We have tried to help many times. She's the kind of person that you can never do enough for. We've learned long ago not to give her cash. We have put gas in her car, we have bought food and things for her at the store and Bossman has helped her with her car numerous times. That's only the tip of the iceberg. We've done so much for her it's unbelievable.
I'm only telling you this, so you will know who I'm talking about.
On Fathers day, we went to visit with this sister. It was at the in laws house, which we hadn't talked to any of them for over 6 months. We had a lovely visit, the only downside was when we asked SIL about her health and she related that she's been having headaches. When Bossman questioned her on her medication, she said that because of her financial situation, she had to sell her pills. Um....yep, she sells her pills for cash. Isn't that illegal? Why would you tell someone that? Also, why would you say that in front of your 14 year old nephew? Needless to say, we are so proud!
Anyway....the facebook incident. My FIL came to our house to pick something up and we got into a discussion about something that happened a long time ago in Vegas, that involved the SIL.
A few days later....SIL posts on facebook.....
"Certain members of my family are talking to my father and trying to sully my already sullied reputation. You know who you are. If you really wanted to sully my reputation, you should just call me...I can give you all kinds of things to talk about."
It went on from there.
I should point out a few key things here. One, neither Bossman or I are friends with her on facebook. Two. My kids are friends with her on facebook.
Now, you should know....I'm one of those really noisy parents that likes to get involved in my kids business. I'm sorry, if you are under 18 and live under my roof I have the right to snoop on your facebook and your phone. So, I was snooping on my sons facebook when I saw the post. (Why yes, I do have his password!)
I couldn't believe what I was reading. Furthermore, I couldn't believe that people that I don't even know commented on it. It wasn't very nice either!
The bottom line is...I talked to my FIL. There was nothing mean about it and it was NOTHING that my FIL didn't already know. The incident in question happened 4 years ago and it's not even important. Why my FIL felt the need to share with my SIL is beyond me. He's not that kind of guy. He's always been the guy that doesn't give his opinion and keeps his mouth shut. Not that there was anything to keep his mouth shut from...but still.
Well, this story is long...isn't it?
Long story short. Bossman got pissed, called his family, heard his mom in the background calling me lovely lovely names.....and then got even more pissed.
Apparently I'm an effing bitch. That coming from a strict muslims mouth.
Needless to say, things didn't end well. One of the comments left on the original post was from Bossmans uncle who we don't even talk to. He said some horrible, horrible things about Bossman and how wonderful the SIL is. He called us hypocrites, said Bossman was pompous and on and on and on....
They are all blocked from our facebooks now. Including my sons.
So back to my original question...
When did it become ok to air your dirty laundry on facebook?
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Basically it's not all right as you all ready know, because you have class. The only people who do that are trash. And of course, 6th grade girls. At least there is a hope that some of them will out grow it.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
PK
There is no filter these days. Anything seems to be fair game. I hate it too because I don't want to know about someone else's dirty laundry.
ReplyDeleteIt never has and hopefully never will be acceptable to air your dirty laundry. Nowadays there are not enough filters. Just keep doing the right thing.
ReplyDeleteWhen did it become OK ?
ReplyDeleteNever, and never will be.
Unfortunately there's a lot of people who don't know anything about OK or Not-OK.
In Blogland we call them Trolls. And what do we do with trolls? Right, we ignore them, in this case, you shut them off from your Facebook. Well done.
Looks like me that SIL has been going down the drain and just would like some people to join her in her misery. Don't let het pull you down! And never, never, never lett her succeed in getting between you and Bossman.
Facebook sounds like a good place to stay away from. I've never been tempted to join, although a few vanillas have pressured me.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Hermione
As everyone else said, it's not okay to post things like that publicly, of course. But I see that kind of thing on Facebook off and on all the time, usually from the family members who also have issues with drugs/alcohol/lifestyle problems.
ReplyDeleteAnd that makes sense, right? If they already are out of control, then that will be reflected on Facebook, too. They can't help it, they are acting out due to their own issues. If they had the self-discipline to not abuse drugs or alcohol and be able to keep a job, etc., then they probably wouldn't say things like that on Facebook, either. They'd know better.
I'm so sorry you are going through Facebook drama. I've been through my own, more than once, now, it sucks. :( And we're not alone, I've watched several Facebook dramas blow up between other family/friends. I just shake my head and stay out of it.
You're doing the right thing, just blocking them and staying out of it as much as possible.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Grace}}}}}}}}}}}}
~~A
I get so tired of the posts of "if you or any one you know has depression/autism/fibromyalgia/ingrown toenails/etc., post this as your status for one hour". No! I also tend to comment with links posted to snopes.com to show that, no, facebook is not going to donate a dollar every time this picture is shared. I like to be silly, play games, and have the occasional political argument. You know - fun stuff! (Only vanilla fun though.)
ReplyDeleteI have an equally riveting post on the word hypocrite.
ReplyDeleteGet ready, it's going to be fantasic! LOL
My life....so much FUN!
so sorry to hear about this, Grace. As everyone has already stated, it is not ok. It is just not ok for anyone to treat anyone that way. I am not on Face book often and an experience like that would certainly turn me away. Thinking of you, Terps
ReplyDeleteYour sil sounds like a clone of mine...And the Faceook thing, familiar as well!
ReplyDeletePerhaps it has something to do with the fact that they can present any face they want to the world there and they look good so they get validation from others...