You all are so supportive! I am so lucky that you all are still reading this blog! Thank you so much!
As with any story, there are parts that get omitted because it's too tedious to type out or it just doesn't seem important.
Some of the things happening to us have nothing to do with the spanking or sex. Some just have to do with life.
Life has changed for us. Our kids are gone. Of course the Son will be home for holidays and summers, the Daughter has moved out for good. (of course this could change.)
This leaves Bossman and I alone. We have realized that we have NOTHING in common. NOTHING!
I'm a homebody, he's a go-getter. He wants to go out and I would rather stay home and read a good book. He likes to race cars and he wants me to go to the racetrack with him. I would rather stay home, go to lunch with a friend, read a book, garden. He likes watching sports on TV. I like cheesy sitcoms.
The list goes on, but I think you catch my drift.
I also have a problem.
I realized that I don't have a purpose. I have lost my purpose in life. The kids are gone. For the last 23 years, I have taken care of them. Now......now what??? I don't know what to do with myself. I find myself wandering around the house, watching TV, doing nothing. Going out to the store is the highlight of my day. On a good day, I will go to lunch with my friend. Whoo hoo! My life is a hotbed of excitement. I feel so worthless. I mean, what IS my purpose now? Even Bossman is pushing me to do something. He asks me what I want to do. The problem is...I DON'T KNOW!! So that makes me feel bad. He tells me I'm wasting my life. He's not being mean, he just doesn't want me to regret anything later. But...I just don't know.
I know, there are so many things I could do. I can do ANYTHING I want, and yet, I don't know what I want to do. I have no desire to do anything. I could volunteer somewhere, I could join the Y. I could babysit, I could get a job......
I could.
Ever since I got the big C, I've changed. I've become anxious and nervous. I don't like doing new things, I get too anxious for that. The medication I take gives me crazy side effects like achy bones and no sex drive and yes, depression and anxiety are also on the list. I could take something for the depression and anxiety....I actually tried that and I ended up in the ER. So I am dealing with it on my own. I've actually improved somewhat. The anxiety is less, but still......it's never not there. I've learned how to deal with it better. Honestly, I don't think I'm really depressed. Although I'm confused about life right now, I am not laying in bed with no will to live. I don't feel like crying all day. I feel like I am an upbeat person, most of the time.....
But....I'm guessing Bossman wouldn't agree.
So, therapy sounds like something I should consider.
I googled it. There are so many to choose from. How would I even begin to pick one?
I'm just going to have to do it. I think I can do it.
Can I do it?? I should do it...
Yes, do it! Probably some of your friends have suggestions of good therapist. You don't have to go in to details of your problems, just tell friends that you want to talk to someone now that you're empty nesters. Google therapist who understand domestic discipline - no, it may not be that important or key, but if it does come up you don't need someone wasting your time telling you you're crazy for accepting it in some form at some time.
ReplyDeleteI went back to see my old therapist, from 30 years ago, a few years back she says this is one of the most difficult times for woman. And for the very reasons you said, many of us have dreamed of being moms since we were just girls. Then the kids grow up and leave and we're left jobless as they go. It can be horrible or it can be wonderful - I really think you'll need someone who understand all this to help you sort it all out.
PK
I don't know that I am brave enough to try and find a d/d therapist! Right now, I'm just don't know.
DeleteI agree with PK - check into finding someone who is DD friendly. The fact is, that's a legitimate part of you, and you don't want someone who writes that off. As far as finding something to do, maybe try to get into something creative - try your hand at making jewelry, learn to sew a little (it doesn't take much to learn the basics), go on a photography day trip, try card making, heck, buy a pack of Shrinky Dinks and play with them. I know that when I start feeling purposeless it really helps me to create something, and if I can make stuff, you sure can!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Tracy
All really great ideas! It's hard when I just don't have much interest in stuff right now. Although, I did get a sewing machine for my birthday and I don't know how to sew, but I'm thinking of trying my hand at an apron. If it turns out good, then everyone is getting an apron for christmas...LOL
DeleteLol, I'll bet they'll all love them! My first sewing machine was one I got for Christmas, and it sat in the unopened box for two years because I was too intimidated to try it. Finally Nick pestered me enough to make me get it out, and he helped me learn how to thread it, and before long I was sewing straight lines. Now I sew almost every day, usually just simple things like little skirts for Daisy, but I have so much fun with it!
DeleteI don't have an empty nest yet but I swear I reached 30 and something happened to me when I turned 30 and I will never be the same..life got sooo exhausting here I am 5 yrs later and even more exhausted...Most moms devote their whole lives to their kids ..I know I've had kids since I was 18..we get exhausted and ready to breathe then when they are older or gone then we feel done..however I'm ready for grandkids lol.. the moral to this is I don't think your alone...
ReplyDeletehave u ever thought of writing? Could be kids fiction or maybe about your life? Maybe spanking fiction or poems or anything..there are online things you could do..make money answering questionnaires etc..
hey if u lived close to me I could keep u busy lol all 3 of my kids are in sports and goin here there and every where..
you guys will work it out and will be happy for empty nest and as soon as empty nest is looking good then a kid will move in and maybe with a spouse and kids lol...
anyway big hugs keep blogging were listening :)
I do love writing....but I have nothing to write about. Writing about my life was what I always did here and now, since nothing is going on in my life, I have nothing to write about. I wish I could help out with the kids!!!!!
DeleteEveryone has given really good advice. It might be helpful to talk with someone to sort out these feelings and maybe things will become clearer for you. Find out what makes you happy. What lights your fire. Express yourself in whatever way that appeals to you. Thinking of you as you find your way. And I am sure the two of you will also find a way to make it back together. Hugs
ReplyDeleteThanks you for thinking of us. I'm sure I'll come up with something, but right now nothing seems to light my fire.
Delete