training your man????

I watched part of the Today show this morning and I saw a segment that really bugged me.

Mind you, I caught the end of the segment, so I didn't see the whole thing, but the gist of the seg was about training your man. Now, I know that we women always say we are "training our man", or we've "trained him" to do something, like putting his socks in the hamper..things like this, but this segment offended me because....

They were comparing men to animals. They actually had a woman who was an animal trainer, and they were comparing ways that training animals could help you train your man.

Am I the only one that has a problem with THAT???

Since when did our husbands become pets? To be fair, they took an e-mail from a man who wanted to know how to train is wife. Oh yes, I really want to be fair here!

One woman wrote in and said her husband is always late. She calls him an hour before the appointment, half-hour before the appointment, and 15 minutes before the appointment. Yet, they are still late. Do you even want to know what Ms. Animal trainer had to say? She said that he really liked all the attention that she was giving him, even if it was negative, and the first thing she would do was stop calling him all the time. ~sigh~

First of all, the ladies husband is a moron. Anybody that would consistently make himself and his wife late is a moron. Why would a husband be that rude? Don't get me wrong, we all run late once in awhile. But if your wife, or husband is calling and reminding you, every 15 mins, what the HECK is your problem???

Second, do we really crave attention so much from someone that we would want them to call and tell us about said appointment every 15 min? I'm sure those are really pleasant calls to get from wifey. I'm sure they weren't nagging or nasty. Nope, they were probably very pleasant calls. They were probably something like, Hi honey, remember, we have this appointment? I would appreciate you being there on time. Ok dear, love you.... Yeah, that's how they were, I'm sure.

So Ms. Animal trainer says don't call him all the time. Yeah, that will work, I'm sure. I'm sure when the next appointment comes up, and the wifey doesn't call and remind him, he will miss her nagging voice soooo much that he will NOW be on time. Yeah, I'm sure that will work.

All I know is this, I don't try and train my man. We learn and grow from each other. We see what annoys the other, and we try not to do that again. Did I train Bossman to spank me? Nope. I told him what I would like, and he tries to make me happy. (ok, it wasn't that easy, but you get my point)

So, how does spanking fit into all this? If Bossman spanks me for not cleaning the bathroom, is he trying to train me? In my ever so humble opinion, nope. I believe that life is full of consequences. If you don't put gas in the car, you will be stranded on the side of the road. If I don't clean the bathroom, Bossman will spank me. (usually) Consequences. Not training!

Training is for pets, not for husbands. Either that, or Petsmart should start having obedience training for husbands.

later.....

4 comments:

  1. Great post Grace,
    when respect goes out the door, love soon follows, and the marriage is over, I agree with Erica, grrrr!!!
    Hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've reminded me of a conversation that happened in a class I was teaching a few years ago. One of the students began lamenting about her relationship with her mother and how she always felt like she was being seen and treated like a child whenever they were together. Other members of the class piped up with similar stories. I was staying out of it until one of them (the instigator if I remember correctly) asked me about my relationship with my mom. My response? I told her that when I stopped acting like a 12 year old, she stopped treating me like one. The conversation ended right then.

    It's like that in relationships too. People don't seem to realize they create their own reality. Thinking another person has to be "trained" is demeaning to both parties. I agree with everyone wholeheartedly, if a relationship reaches this point...it's doomed. We cannot change anyone but ourselves, let alone training someone. What an utter waste of time, love and energy.

    Great post.

    **Big Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, you know it kind of goes along with something my husband and I have discussed about tv sitcoms the past few years. Certain shows such as "Home Improvement", "Rosanne", and "According to Jim" just to name a few would have you believe that all husbands are stupid and all wives need to correct their faults. I hate the way the portray the men in these shows, as if they are nothing but buffoons, and in the end the wife is always right. This isn't the immage of a father or husband I would want any child of mine to see. This is probably where this show got the idea for it's segment. I admit men do stupid things, but then so do women. I would much rather see sitcoms go the way of protraying a marriage as a partnership rather than be so one sided. I also agree with your section on cleaning the bathroom, it's not a training it's a choice. We all face choices that have consequences everyday, this is just one of those choices. Anyway thanks for posting your thoughts on this segment, I really enjoyed it.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for reading this.

    I just could not believe they were comparing animals to people as far as training.

    yes, Bossman is fully paper trained. Now I'm working on having him fetch me the paper! HA

    ReplyDelete