WARNING: Before you read this post I should warn you, there is a lot of blood involved! Since I don't want to scare Eva, I want to warn Eva that she shouldn't really be reading this right before going to the hospital for surgery.
Consider yourselves warned!
I thought we were in the home stretch! I thought things were getting better.
I was wrong.
Around 8:30 last night, the wildchild jumped off the couch and scrambled for a piece of paper. She wrote, I'm bleeding but it's going down my throat and I can't spit it out.
Oh crap!
Then, she mad a made dash for the kitchen, it was closest, and blood started pouring out of her mouth.
Sort of like a horror show....
Only, this was real life....
and my daughter!
So, I immediately called the doctor, as this is what he told me to do.
He called right back. Thank goodness.
He said not to worry, but to take her to the ER in our town. (remember the 50+ miles?)
Bossman took her to the ER. I stayed home with the little man. This, it turns out, was a very good idea because things went from bad to worse at the ER.
Our ER has employed a security guard to man the front door. Apparently they think we are a big city and and a rent-a-cop will keep out the bad guys. They also apparently think that the rent-a-cop is also a doctor and can tell when things are an emergency.
So, when you go in, you have to fill out a paper explaining the problem so that rent-a-cop can give it to the triage nurse to determine if you are a true emergency.
Apparently, spitting up blood doesn't really matter.
So while the wildchild is spitting up blood, the r-a-c calmly and s-l-o-w-l-y walks over to give the paper to the nurse.
Now, Nurse Hatchett is busy with another patient. One that was NOT spitting up blood, I might add. Actually, this patient was on the way OUT! Nurse Hatchett, kept talking and talking and talking and ignoring r-a-c. Bossman was NOT too pleased with this little arrangement as his daughter, in case I didn't mention it before, was SPITTING UP BLOOD!
So, Bossman goes up to r-a-c and asks if we could speed things up a little. At which time r-a-c tells Bossman that pacing around the waiting room will not speed up the process!
uh, what?
Finally after about 6 minutes or so, the r-a-c hand the paper over to Nurse Hatchett. They whisper quietly with each other so Bossman can not hear what they are saying and then she finally waves them over.
Nurse Hatchett then proceeds with the standard questions, while my child is still bleeding. Who is responsible and what is your correct address seemed to be the most important questions that had to be answered IMMEDIATELY, as this was, in fact, the most important thing to know at this point!
Bossman finally said, can we speed this up, and Nurse Hatchett finally said, oh, just a few more minutes.
Oh good, just a few more minutes of bleeding out of your mouth, dear one.
Finally, they take her back. To a room with no bed, as they were full. So there was a chair. Guess what happened next?
If you said they had to wait some more...YOU were CORRECT!
Bossman then went to find SOMEONE to help our poor wildchild.
A different nurse, we'll call her Nursey Poo, cuz at least she wasn't mean, came in and took a look at the situation and then left to see how long before the doc came in.
She came back and said the wildchild was next. Did I mention there was blood coming out of my daughters mouth... still? By this time she had been bleeding for about an hour.
The doc finally comes in. You would think this would be the time to sing Hallelujah... you'd think.
The doc comes in, doesn't say much, looks down her throat and says we're going to do this and that, and then starts walking out the door. With NO explanation of anything.
Bossman wanted to know what it all meant, so he stops Doctor Evil to ask. Doc Evil tells Bossman, Do you want her here or not?
uh what?
DUH! Of course I want her here, SHES BLEEDING! Hence the blood all over the place.
Doc Evil then says, well, you are delaying her treatment by standing here talking to me!
OH REALLY????
Bossman was PISSED by then!
So, the wildchild was doing Ok, well, as OK as you can be with blood dripping out of your mouth and so he goes out to move our car and to call me, as the cell phone doesn't work in the hospital.
He calls me and tells me to call HER doc and have him call the ER to tell them what to do. So, I do that, and he runs back in to be with her.
So Nursey Poo comes in to take some blood and put in an IV. While taking the blood, the little vial thingie POPS off.
Now before I go further, I thought I would remind the audience that the wildchild is in a chair, not in a bed.
So the vial thingie POPS off and the blood starts spurting EVERYWHERE!
This is when the wildchild has had enough and decides to FAINT!
So, Bossman grabs the wildchild so she doesn't slide off the chair and the Nursey Poo tries to get some blood IN the vial.
Well, guess what people? The key to getting any attention is fainting because once you pass out, all KINDS of people want to help you. So another nurse comes in to help and someone comes in with a gurney. Then they all stand there deciding how they should get her on the gurney.
Bossman picks up the wildchild and puts her on the gurney. They bring her to a room that isn't even cleaned yet.
The IV is safely put in and the blood is finally in the vial and they give her a treatment of Epineferine.(sp) That is given through an oxygen mask. As soon as they give that to her she stops bleeding. THANK GOD!
She comes around and everything is looking good, so Bossman gives me a call.
B: Come right now.
Me: What is going on?
B: Just come right now.
Me: Are they admitting her?
B: I don't know yet, things got hairy here so please come NOW!
Me: I'm on my way.
So the little man and I high-tail it to the hospital. Mind you, I don't know all the drama yet. By the time I get there everything is good. The wildchild looks good and things are great.
Oh, and before I got there, there was a shift change. So I didn't get to meet Dr Evil or Nurse Hatchett. Too bad for me!
The new doc was GREAT! He kept asking the wildchild if everything was cool as a cat. He took great care of her and offered to let us stay there all night if we felt the need.
They gave her another dose of the meds and we waited around for an hour to make sure there were not side-effects. Bossman took the little man home. I waited around with the wildchild reading a readers digest from 2003. The wildchild tried to tell me what happened in sign language.
We got home around mid-night. Fun, fun, fun!
Bossman was really MAD. He is calling everyone he knows at that hospital and is filing all kinds of complaints! ALL KINDS! Dr. Evil and Nurse Hatchett better not meet Bossman anytime soon. Oh, the r-a-c better watch his step also. I'm just glad Bossman was there. He really took care of the wildchild. I don't know if I could have handled all that drama!
Anyway, the bleeding didn't start again, but I DID get to make the 50+ miles drive to see the real doc today.
He put a BIG, HUGE, needle down her throat to numb it, and then he sucked it, and then he cauterized it. And then it still didn't look good, so he did it again.
The wildchild was a real trooper. She said it didn't really hurt, it just was hard to breathe with his FIST in her throat. God, that girl is brave.
Well, everything is fine now. The doc doesn't expect any more bleeding and he expects her to be able to start school on Wed.
At this point, we don't expect anything!
Wow, scary stuff. We've been there before too. So much luck involved in the care you get. It's so-so much harder too, when you really don't know what the heck is going on. Bad enough when you KNOW what needs to be done, and just need to get someone to do it. But when you don't already have the answer, you feel so totally helpless. Can just feel the stress.
ReplyDeleteGlad it all worked out!
Todd & Suzy
Yikes, that was a lotta blood and way too much drama. I'm glad she's okay and I don't blame Bossman one bit for being PO'd... go get 'em. Poor kid.
ReplyDeleteGrace, you have my sympathy, so has Bossman, if it had been me I'd have been spitting nails.
ReplyDeleteSome medical people think that they are little gods what they really are is the arse-holes of the universe.
I really hope that Wildchild will finally be well now.
Warm hugs,
Paul.
Bossman was incredible throughout that ordeal, as was your darling wildchild... had that been Dante and the little guy, well, it wouldn't have been pretty... I fear there might have been even more blood, lol.
ReplyDeletePlease keep us posted and I hope YOU are feeling better, too!
Love,
Tiggs
Wow, what an ordeal. I have always thought that unless you go to the ER in an ambulance, you are facing a huge wait, and even if you do arrive that way, the wait is still long unless you are truly dying, and even then, they have to finally realize you are dying. Geez. So many good doctors and nurses in this world, and the bad ones sure give them all a black eye. Thank goodness the shift change brought some better staff.
ReplyDeleteI hope all is smooth sailing from this point out.
Hugs,
Kallisto
Sadly we've had those experiences's too.Kallisto is right about the ambulance..you get treated quicker. I hope the wildchild is doing better and bossman did very,very well in that situation.
ReplyDeleteGood grief, Grace! That's just outrageous. The poor wildchild. Poor Bossman. I don't blame him one bit and I'd be on the phone to every possible person to complain as well.
ReplyDeleteI hope the weekend goes a little smoother for all of you.
Debbie :)
Well I can see you don't need me. You have Bossman. Not only did he handle the situation, but he then did exactly what I would have advised. Complain, complain, complain...and while complaining let them know you will be telling everyone you know about the horrible uncaring treatment.
ReplyDeleteSome people just don't need to be in the medical field. I am glad all is better. Your girl really is a trooper. Bless her heart.
Healing Huggs and love to all of you!
Theresa
OMG I am so angry on your behalf, Grace! OMG! PLEASE write, call, complain again and again. To the hospital, to your doctor, the doctors there, the local newspaper, your congressman!! EVERYBODY!
ReplyDeleteThat's horrible, I'm so sorry. I'm spitting mad for all your sakes. Poor Wildchild! Please tell her I said "what a brave young woman she is". {{{hugs to you all}}}
What a frightening experience for poor (but brave) wildchild. I sure couldn't handle all that bleeding! I'm glad things settle down now and hopefully, this time, she's really on the mend.
ReplyDelete*hugs* Suzy
What a nightmare! Complaining can make a difference. So make sure everyone knows. Why didn't anyone tell us how tough parenting would be before we got drawn in by the cute little baby!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
PK
OMG! I would've shot laser beams out of my eyeballs at those ER workers! I'm so glad Bossman took care of the situation and the Wildchild is on the mend.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you all,
Erica
Oh my goodness! Grace what an ordeal! I pray your baby is all better by now.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Cassie