Yesterday at 12 noon, my time, the cable/internet went out. It did not come back on until 8 this morning.
GAH! Do you KNOW how hard it is to live without tv and computer???? It was HORRIBLE. I don't even know how I survived! I have prepared for every natural disaster. I have extra water. I have extra food. I keep gas in my car. I have a first aid kit. I have extra clothes, blankets. BUT nobody, NOBODY talks about what happens when you can't watch tv or use the internet. NOBODY!
And, not only that, but last night was the first night that Desperate Housewives came back on. I had to MISS one of my favorite shows.
I just sat in front of my tv with a rag covering my forehead, waiting and waiting. The tv even said, this channel will be available in a moment. A MOMENT people! I waited for HOURS!
~sigh~
I've recovered somewhat. I'm sitting in front of the tv and I'm on the computer and my head doesn't hurt as much anymore. I've heard that I will be able to watch my show on the computer, so all is not lost. Life is much better now!
I have another small problem. My daughter feels the need to go to her prom. I don't know where she got it in her head that I was allowing her to grow up. Some where along the way, she grew up. What the heck? Who authorized this? I'm going to write a stern letter to the management and get this taken care of immediately.
In the mean time.... I have to buy her a prom dress. My daughter thinks she's related to the Trumps. She wants a 200 dollar dress. It could have been worse. Some of the dresses were 4 and 5 hundred. 2 hundred, that's chump change...right?
Luckily, she's had some help from family and friends. She's been working for a lady in our church once a week and the lady gave her 100 toward her dress. How nice is that???
But, there is still shoes, and jewelery and, and, and.....
Ok, just breathe.....head between my knees and BREATHE!!!!
Oh and lookie, lookie at the counter. Only 1 month and 3 weeks until graduation. That means I have to pay for a party, a new dress, and a gift! Oh yeah, a gift. She wants a car.....who doesn't? I thinking of getting her a lap top. What did you get your graduate for graduation? Give me ideas!!! HELP! Actually, she'll be lucky if I even make it to the graduation. I'll be nothing but a big puddly mess.
I better get on that letter to the management...
Ah yes, graduation year. How fun was that...NOT! What it was, was expensive. The pictures cost more than our wedding pictures. Our gift to both boys when they graduated was a laptop to take to college with them. Practical and fun.
ReplyDeleteHey, take up knitting. When you lose the tv and can't blog, it's what I do to pass the time.
Hugs,
Lori
I presonally cannot imagine the horror you must have gone through! Why didn't you call! I would have talked you through it.
ReplyDeleteI sent LJ and his best friend to Disney World for his graduation gift. My mother gave my sister and I luggage - do you think she might have been hinting?
I do understand $200 is not awful for a dress, well it is but you know. Mollie wants a nice sweet 16 party this year. We need to get together to commiserate!
Hugs,
PK
God Bless your soul. I heard the news report yesterday that bad electrical wave lengths were headed your way and you might soon be out of television and internet. I prayed and prayed. I am just thankful the situation has resolved and you and your loved ones are safe and sound. Shew.
ReplyDeleteNow look back on my blog a year ago. All I ever got to do was buy a corsage. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes, or her shoes, or some ruby red slippers, maybe some glass slippers. Ahhh I probably would have a daughter who would want to pick her own dress, shoes, earrings, hair, etc. Still I envy you.
Talk her into watching "Pretty in Pink," and finding a bargain that sets her apart from the rest! She propably won't want that until she is older....like me!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.....I loved Michael's proms. I cried. Imagine what I will do at his wedding!
Love you girl!
Theresa
Oh ok so my graduate got $ for the senior trip, then a laptop but not unitl fall before college (more time to save). OK tow dresses? Man I miss out on it all, does she want a pink one at all!
ReplyDeleteMee
Tee
Thank you all for your support during this very horrible time. Luckily we have recovered nicely and I have watched Big Brother on the computer so I know EXACTLY who won the HOH. (I only watch the show cuz they have an HOH!) As for Desperate Housewives, I'll be catching up on them later this evening.
ReplyDeleteTheresa, you will be happy to know that my daughter LOVES PINK! In the afternoon, when the sun is shining in her room, you can look down the hall and see a pink glow. I call it the Pepto room.
But alas, the dress she found was not pink. We found LOTS of pink, but a blue (actually peacock) dress is the one she absolutely fell in love with. I KNOW, I was in complete shock that it isn't pink, but what's a mother to do? Frankly, I am relieved that she picked this dress, for the other favorite was definitely NOT something I wanted to buy for her. YUCK, was my exact words, to which she said...MOTHER!
~sigh~
Don't ask me how us moms do it but somehow I survived 3 daughters graduating from high school. I remember thinking my world was ending but you know what? Little did I know that really, it would be okay and that life alone with Adam would be better than I ever dreamed. So honest, as hard as it is.... as much as you'll feel like someone has died... you'll find in the end that life is grand with just you and the love of your life.
ReplyDeleteKids are grand but they aren't everything that it's all about... but you and Bossman?? THAT is what really matters.
Want me to come there and help you through it?
Hugs~
Eva
Eva, I believe you, but I just feel OLD!
ReplyDeleteHow about a month after graduation you come out and see me. It will be right around that time when I will need the most cheering up....
Oh, and bring PK...OK?
HUGS!
grace
I was so sorry to read you were without your usual forms of entertainment/distraction. It must have been awful. Why is it that when you can't have something you normally can then you want it 1K times more than usual? Must be human nature.
ReplyDeleteA peacock blue prom dress? It sounds divine! Pink is nice *waves to Theresa* but sometimes a girl just has to have a dose of an attention grabbing color. I can't think of one that would do it better than the color she chose.
Wow, a graduation gift? I got a car (can you say doted on, first child/grandchild to graduate). I think a laptop is a great idea.
Where do we send the Kleenex for mom?
*hugs*
C.C
I got my youngest daughter a camera for graduation, but I think a laptop would be a really awesome gift.
ReplyDeleteGlad your Internet's back up!
Huggs,
Reesa
Prom dress? Girl's still wear dresses? I did NOT know that!
ReplyDeleteHugs! You will get through it, Grace, so have some fun with your daughter. It's good to know you were out with her while she shopped for her peacock blue dress.
Hugs,
Marcus
Grace, I didn't know that you were the original Mrs. Skinflint.
ReplyDeleteBuy the girl three dresses and matching accessories, jewellery, shoes, gloves. Don't be a tightwad buy her a car as a present, do you want to be known as the meanest mom in town.
Paul, as usual, you have nothing but kind things to say. I just want to know...do you EVER say anything negative? Not that I want you to but I just wondered what it would be like if someone really pissed you off. Not that I would want to be the one....Oh no, not me! I'm a good girl, remember???
Grace, I don't do mean and bitter very well, will the above do.
So your baby is growing up, hurts doesn't it, and not only the wallet.
Don't forget, "a daughter's a daughter for the rest of your life, a son is your son, 'til he takes him a wife".
You will survive and be even better than you are already.
I'm glad that you survived the great deprivation, think how it toughened your moral fibre. Grins
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
C.C. You are so right. The color is perfect! It's a beautiful dress, although it's very low cut...but I'm a mom and I'm suppose to say that!
ReplyDeleteHow about you come and see me in July with PK and Eva? We could really have some fun! Wink, wink!
Reesa, a camera would be a great idea, except she got one of those for christmas! The laptop is a good idea, I just don't know if I can AFFORD it. My wallet is slowly becoming empty!
Marcus, girls do wear dresses! I know, it's shocking but true! And my girl, she's GIRLY! She's all frills. I must say, I had a bit of a shock when she came out in these very grown-up dresses...I wasn't quite ready for it.
LOL@ Paul! You are TOO funny! If that's all you got then I can't be too scared! I'm sure when your welding a paddle, it's a different story...right?
I'm must say, I'm much stronger after surviving the great internet/tv outage of 2008. It could have been worse. I could have actually been HOME, when it happened...LOL
Did I forget to mention I spent most of the day at the beach.....
LOL
HUG!
grace
I am glad you have your internet and tv back...as for graduation, my children aren't even in kindergarten yet so we have many more years to go before worrying about that but I am sure the feelings will be bitter sweet - but you have lots of friends to help you get through the difficult time.My graduation gift from my parents was sending me to four years of college. :-)
ReplyDeleteLOL know the feeling my son graduates June 5, As for prom his tux RENTAL is 139 dollars and we don't get to keep the tux! As for a gift. We gave my oldest son a laptop when he graduated and for this son we are giving him one of those Garmin map things for his car so he will never get lost and can always find his way back home. Which for this directionally challenged child not always a sure thing.... Feeling your pain of them growing up this one is my baby..sob....
ReplyDeleteC
Terpsichore, I bawled when my eyes out when my daughter started kindergarten. Boo hoo, WHY do they have to grow up???
ReplyDeleteC, Mine graduates on the 6th of June. I can hardly believe it. I hear ya about the prom. My daughter is actually going to 2 proms, (boyfriend goes to different school) so at least I get 2 uses out of it.
I'm still trying to decide what to get for a present. A lap top would be nice, but I don't know, I may opt for something that might take a little less out of the wallet.
HUGS!
grace
oh no...I wasn't even thinking of kindergarten...and that isn't that far off...On my son's first day of preschool he adjusted just fine - I was the one with tears in my eyes once I said good-bye... :-)
ReplyDelete