poster girl....I am NOT!

If you are not living under a rock, you know that breast cancer awareness month is October. Last year, it came and went without much fanfair. Now, maybe it's just me, or does it seem like everything is about BC? Does it seem like, just like Christmas, they start putting out the pink ribbons WAY before the time?


For some reason, I feel obligated to buy all the stuff with pink ribbons.


Here's the real deal.


I am not a hero! I didn't do anything heroic. I did what each and every one of you would have done. I went to the doctor. I got treatment. Just because it was cancer, doesn't make it heroic. I went and had a pap the other day.....NOT heroic...at all!


Every time someone asks about it I tell them it's no big deal.


And it really wasn't.


I had the lumps removed. I had seven weeks of radiation and now I'm done. I'm good.


I'm not heroic. I'm just damned lucky!


I'd really like to move ahead in my life. I'd like to close the BC chapter and move on.


But, the pink ribbons are everywhere! A constant reminder. And, yes....I have one of these on the back of my car.




And truth be told..... I'm really proud of that one!


Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

3 comments:

  1. Grace, cancer isn't funny, the lucky ones survive, such as my wife.
    We are indeed thankful, and carry on with our life's.
    It's more than ten years.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hero is someone when faced with adversity had the courage to stand up and fight. You did that. And thank GOD you won. Yes many in your position would do the same thing. Many can't they don't have the strength or courage to face the unkown, they give up and refuse to take treatment or they sometimes take their own lives. There is hope. And it is people like you who have had the courage to fight that can help those who need some positive stories and encouragement to give them the courage to fight. You making a difference for someone else. That is what a HERO is. So wear it proudly Grace. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Paul, the lucky ones survive!

    Thank you C! I still don't feel heroic, but I hope I can make a difference for someone else.

    ReplyDelete