BUT......Since today marks the start of breast cancer awareness month, I would be remiss if I didn't mention it.
I'm only going to mention it once. Unless I think of something else I need to say about it....in which case, I'll be mentioning it some more.
I'm not sure why breast cancer gets a month. Other cancers don't get a month....at least I don't think they do. I'm not sure that's fair. Cancer is a bad thing, no matter what kind you have! Why do we single out breast cancer? Shouldn't it just be Cancer awareness month, instead of breast cancer awareness month?
I rememeber when I told D about my cancer. She cried along with me and then she said, "I know this sounds bad, but I WISH I had breast cancer." She said that because breast cancer gets the most attention. It gets the most funding. There is a much better chance of recovery! And we all know what happened to D.
So, here's the deal. If you are a woman, do a self-exam. Don't be afraid to feel yourself up. Get to know your girls. That way, when you do feel something wierd, you will know! Also, don't feel afraid to mention it to your doctor. Don't procrastinate. Chances are it's nothing. Most of the time it is, but if it isn't, you have a better chance of survival if you take care of it early.
Second, I don't care what the hell Obama says, if you are over 40, get a mammo! Get one every year. I had one in April of '09 and in December of '09 found my lump. AND guess what? I could only feel one lump and when I went for the mammo, it only showed one lump but, the ultasound showed 2. So...see how fast they can grow? Skipping a year on your mammo is NOT a good idea.
If you are a man....remind your woman! Remind all the women in your life. I know it's scary to think about, trust me, I KNOW, but isn't it better to face it now and get treated than to find it when it's too late?
So, I've done my duty. I've given my thoughts on BC and I have reminded you all. What you do from here is your business!
As for me, I'm done with the BC stuff. I'm ready to move on to spanking stuff!
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Grace, very public spirited and good advice.
ReplyDeleteWaem hugs,
Paul.
Every one of us that loves you is very aware of breast cancer and I told you I got my mammogram because of what you went through so you keep mentioning it whenever you feel the need!
ReplyDeleteBut I'm also looking forward to hearing more spanking stuff!
love you,
PK
Hi grace,
ReplyDeleteIt's very nice of you to remine us to take care about our health. I'm not sure I should get my mammo when I am quite young. But I've read somewhere that if someone in my family had BC I'll have a higher percentage to have BC, and my mother did. I just don't know at what age I should start getting my mammo every year ?
Paul, thanks for stopping by!
ReplyDeletePK, I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. If I helped you do that, I'm grateful I was inspiration! Keep it up, we can't afford to have you sick!
Nita, I asked this very question because I have a daughter and wanted to know when she should start getting mammos. The general rule is, you should start getting mammos 10 years prior to when your mom was first diagnoised.
So, I was 41 when I found mine. Therefore my daughter will start getting her first mammos at 31.
Also, something to consider. If you can, ask your mom if she got tested for the gene. I did and it came back negative, but if she came back positive, you should definately be tested for the gene. If she wasn't tested, you could get tested. If you have the gene, you are 80 to 90 percent certain to get BC. Therefore, you can take action ahead of time to prevent BC or ovarian cancer. breastcancer.org is a great resource if you still have questions.
I hope your mom is a survivor! If these things are found early enough, most of us will survive!
HUGS!
grace