The day my life changed forever....

I didn't make a big deal out of this, but on January 15th, it had been 2 years since I got the call that changed my life forever.  Some call it an anniversary, others a cancerversary, but I can't call it that.  Anniversaries are happy events and that was definitely not a happy event.

I may have already told this story...but I feel the need to tell it again.
I'll never forget that day.  It was a typical Friday.  I was waiting for the results of the biopsy, but I wasn't expecting the call that day.  They said 24 to 48 hours for results and my doctors are notorious for never calling at all, so I was fully expecting to have to call myself on Tuesday, as Monday was a holiday.

They called my cellphone....weird because they NEVER call my cell phone.  She, (my doctor) was very matter of fact about the matter.  "Yes, it's cancer, don't worry, we will get you an appointment with an oncolgist and surgeon."  "Any questions?"

Me?  "Uh, so...it's cancer?"

Me? "Ok, thanks."

Who says thanks after someone tells them that? 

I was alone at the time.  The wildchild was in her room, still sleeping.  I sat still thinking for a moment.  I was trying to wrap my brain around it.  Cancer...cancer...cancer.

I needed to call people.  I needed to call Bossman.

For some reason I felt like I should go in the bedroom to make the calls.  I have to pass the wildchilds bedroom to get to mine.  She came out the door right when I walked by. 

I lost it.

As a parent, you never want to lose it in front of your child.

I did.

I sobbed like a big old baby in my daughters arms.

It was humiliating.

I gathered myself and went in the bedroom to call Bossman.  Why is it when there is something major going on that nobody answers their phone.

So Bossman didn't answer.  I called my mom.  She didn't answer.  I called my best friend.  Finally, someone answered!

After playing phone tag, I finally got a hold of Bossman.  Of course he came home immediately.  My mom soon followed.

I remember being alone with Bossman for a few minutes and we just stared at each other.  The scared look in his eyes was enough to freak me out.  He sat me on the bar stool and he kneel next to me so I was looking down at him.  He said that now was the time to pray.  We clung to each other and he prayed.

And then, he pretty much said exactly what this song says...so I'll leave you with this song.  Everytime I hear it, it brings tears to my eyes.  BUT...I never change the station or turn the song off.  Because this song is my life and I have to face my life.

I'm lucky.  I am still here.  I thank God everyday for that gift.  The gift of life.




Written while ignoring laundry by::
post signature

12 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes...

    I simply cannot even come close to imagining how that must've felt.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness, Grace, was that song WRITTEN for you? It is amazing, and I love it. I never heard it before, so thank you.

    God spared you because he has work for you to do down here on Earth, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't laundry He has in mind!!!

    I have lost friends to cancer; 2 were young mums in their early 30s, with kids under 5. One mum of 36,with a baby of 1 and a child of 4, who point to the sky and says his mum is the biggest, shiny star.... and another mum of 31, with a baby of just a year as she lost her fight, and a daughter of 2 1/2.

    Cancer is cruel and relentless and uncaring of its destruction.

    I get angry with kids who smoke. They say they are just as likely to get hit by a bus; maybe so, but you don't stand in the middle of the road and wait for the bus to hit you... so why smoke and wait for the cancer to hit you???

    Bless you, my prayers continue for you that you will remain cancer free. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song makes me cry too. My husband was diagnosed at 36 with stage 3 colon cancer, now its stage 4 terminal mestastic colon cancer. I still hold onto hope that there will be a cure.

    CANCER SUCKS.......KILL IT !!!!

    Hugs Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your remission. My SIL is going through the horror now and she has taken this song as her mantra also. So happy for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that well - I was so scared. You've stayed in my prayers ever since. I'm happy for so many things, your being cancer free now, that you have bossman, that you're out here visiting and blogging again. Now if we can just get you feeling better on a daily basis.

    I love the song.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember it well Grace. A beautiful song, never heard it before.

    It's so good to see you blogging again.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace,

    Thank you for sharing about that dreadful day. I can't help noticing how it paralleled my own dreadful day. Cancer changed my life forever, too, but I'm so thankful it was me and not someone I love who was placed on this journey. I'm sure you understand that thinking.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is She:
    I hope you never have to know how it feels!

    Daisy:
    So sorry to hear about all you friends! Cancer is ugly! It is very upsetting to see people smoking!

    Kay:
    I will pray for your hubby...and for a cure....and for you!

    Sunny girl....sorry about your SIL! Will pray for her!

    PK: I love you!

    Ronnie: thanks for your support, it's your support that keeps me blogging.

    New subbie: I completely understand!

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace,

    I cried just reading it about. And I knew better to listen to the song. :)

    Hugs
    SE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your experience made me cry. The song made me cry, too. *wipes eyes*

    I'm so glad you are one of those who made it. :) {{{{Grace}}}} ~~Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are in the thoughts and prayers of all your blogger friends. Good luck.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grace, I cried too. I lost my mom to breast cancer and have two aunts who are in remission now. The first time i heard this song, I cried for a long time. I am so glad that you are in remission, and that bossman loves you through it all :)

    ReplyDelete