Interesting how life is.
When your kid is a baby, you know everything. You are a hero and you can do no wrong. Once they become teens....oh, well you know NOTHING. You are a loser and you are old and dumb.
Suddenly they become adult. They are at least willing to listen to you, even if they don't agree with you.
When my daughter got engaged, one of the first things she did was start looking for a venue. She lives about 2 hours from me, so she said she wanted to get married somewhere down by where she lives.
Ok.....
BUT, all her bridesmaids and friends are HERE! (her grooms family and friends are from the east coast)
I didn't say anything. I just let her go look. Looking isn't that fun when its just you and him and nobody to help. I gently told her that getting married up here might be a better choice because we are all here and because her daddy knows a LOT of people in this town and we could probably get some great discounts.
NO mom. I don't want to get married there!
HHmmmmm.....
After about a month or two, she finally decided that MAYBE she would like to come and look at venues in our area. We have some beautiful vineyards around our parts so she wanted to look at those. Bossman has some contacts in that industry so maybe a discount could be had.
BUT, there is one very, very nice hotel in our town. Johnny Depp stayed in this hotel. Shirley Temple stayed in this hotel. It's got a beautiful garden. AND, Bossman is good friends with the owner. Again I say....DISCOUNT!
Daughter says...."No, NO, NO!" "Mom, we are NOT getting married in that hotel. (Mind you, she has only seen the outside and never saw the gardens.)
We go and view some vineyards. Very nice...very expensive!
Finally she says, "can we go look at the hotel, because the grooms family is probably going to stay there."
We go and have a tour.
Now, Bossman and I are letting the Bride and Groom talk to the tour guide. We are meandering through the gardens, looking at the flowers, even stopping to take some pictures. We aren't keeping up with the little tour, we are just enjoying....until I hear....
"DAMN! I hate when my mom is always right!"
HAHAHAHAHAHA! That, my friends, was music to my ears!
So the wedding is being held at the hotel and YES....Yes, we did get a GREAT discount!
I love, love, love it! If only you had a recording you could replay. For each of my kids I kinda put my foot down about something they were waffling about doing during one of their teen years. In each case I pushed for my choice HARD, stopping just shy of telling them they had to. In both cases they tell me it was the best choice of their lives - score one for Mom!!
ReplyDeleteYou are going about it so perfectly! Suggest and act as if you care less what they actually decide. It does drive them nuts when we're so right.
Thank you! I've actually learned something in my old age!
DeleteROFL Grace! I'm with PK...totally love it and love the way you are suggesting/letting her choose. *snicker* Keep up the great work. ;) Hope all wedding prep continues to run 'smoothly'.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings...
Cat
She will say she doesn't care about something and then she cares DEEPLY about the same thing....so that's driving me NUTS! But....I've learned to just be patient and let her figure it out. I usually end up with the best ideas, but she goes to them last...LOL
DeleteLOL..what a smart momma you are!!!
ReplyDeletehugs abby
Thank you!
DeleteSmart lady.....letting her make 'your' decision.
ReplyDeleteIt's working so far! LOL
Deleteperfect :-)
ReplyDeleteTake notes...your time will be here before you know it!
DeleteI am always taking notes from my wise friends here :-)
Delete