The heart beats on

Well, I took a chance and went to the Y. Bossman called and told us it wasn't crowded and asked if I'd come. I told him I wasn't coming, but the wildchild was going to go. At the last minute I decided to surprise Bossman and show up with the wildchild. Of course, he was on a treadmill that was facing the window and saw us drive by, so there wasn't much of a surprise.

I decided to just walk on the treadmill. They are the fancy ones that will show your heart rate as you walk. I monitored mine and it was fine. Up to about 130 when I was going my fastest and down to 88 when I was done. NICE! I didn't have a heart attack, so that was a good thing. I got going pretty fast and ended up walking about 2 miles in about 45 minutes. Not bad for a beginner.

Now the bad news, I hurt my foot. Actually, my foot is hurting me! I woke up the next day and could barely move my left foot. You know that bone that sticks out on your heel, the back of your heel? That HURTS!

I've had this problem before. It takes a good 2 weeks before it gets better. I decided I wanted to go to the doc and make sure because I was bummed. I really wanted to walk some more. It was fun and I felt good afterward. Bossman made sure and get in plenty of "I told you so's".

I went to the doc and he said to rest it for 2 weeks. So, I now have a legitimate excuse for not exercising. And although you'd think I'd be happy about that, I'm NOT!

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be a chronic thing. I really would like to continue this stuff and having my foot hurt is not good. I'm sure there are some things I could do that don't involve my foot, but walking is where I'm most comfortable. I guess I'm going to have to step out of my comfort zone if I plan on getting into shape.

I would really like to lose some weight. Bossman and I are taking a vacation this summer, (without kids...whoo hoo) and I would like to look fairly decent in a pair of shorts. Plus this vacation will probably involve some walking. My foot cannot hurt!

So, I've got about 3 months until vacation, so my foot better behave itself because I've got to get moving!!!!!!

Is this what getting old is all about? Cuz I don't like it....not ONE bit!

8 comments:

  1. i told you a doc could give you a "get out of exercise free" card. You didn't tell me you wanted to exercise.

    The vacaton sounds great, the foot ouch. I hope you are better soon.

    Any prom news?
    Huggs
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get back to the Y, try walking one mile this time. Build up to where you want to go. You'll do awesome!

    Hugs,
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace I bet you will look wonderful on you vacation and have a blast no matter what! I have been going to the gym for over a year now. I never get on the tread mill. The recumbent bike is good. Takes pressure off the foot. And I lose more when I slowly work with weights. But what ever you do - quit hurting yourself!! And I will do the same!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, sorry about the foot, Marcus has the right idea, build up slowly.
    Have you got the Wildchild's dress yet.
    Have a good week-end.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your foot...hope it is feeling better really soon! Hugs, Terpsichore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I have LOTS of unsolicited suggestions since I have been working with trainers and in gyms for well over 10 years now. I'm not one but I've picked up a lot of info over the years. (I know, you didn't ask for advice but Grace, YOU KNOW I have a BIG MOUTH! (And I mean well! :))

    I've been where you are, I've been injured and feeling crappy because I can't do the things I want to. BUT! There are still many ways to raise your metabolism and help you get into shape without using the aerobic machines.

    Weight training can burn calories and you don't have to use your foot for crunches, ball work, hand weights, tons of stuff. (HA! I've been working out too long to let you out entirely on the foot thing; been there, done that, still lots of things you can do)

    Do a Google search for "workout" machine information or "weight training" and there are even FREE videos you can watch today on your computer on what to do and how to do it! And you can print out the workout and take it with you to the gym. All FREE! :)

    Yoga is awesome; I'm doing pilates right now AT HOME EVEN with a DVD I got used and believe me, I work up a sweat, oh yeah! And I don't use my feet ONCE!

    And do they have a pool? You can swim with your bad foot too since it's your heel and you won't be putting pressure on it swimming.

    Oh and I get my heartbeat up to 160-170 or so purposely during spin class or other aerobic classes (they have you stop partway through and take your pulse on your neck) and that's not bad for your body at all. It's good for you, don't worry if it zooms up; just take a break and it goes back down again. Pushing your heart rate up and then letting it go back down strengthens your heart; it's a muscle, use it or lose it. :)

    Let's see...what else. OH! Okay, just walking on the treadmill should not have hurt your foot. Remember to put a slight incline on the machine of 0.5 or 1.0. It's much easier on your body to do a very slight incline but it's not high enough to make it significantly harder. And I would get your shoes checked; you should pop for the money and go to a sports store and get fitted properly. Yes, it's more money than just buying some tennis shoes off the rack but your foot will have proper support.

    I have a ton of DVDs if you want the titles; you can probably rent them first and see what you think. You can mix up doing stuff at home and going to the gym both.

    Oh and I'm a LOT older than you and I can still do all of this stuff. So age is no excuse, m'dear. :)

    There! I'm done. Nosy bitch, ain't I? ;-P

    Seriously, I mean well, I hope you don't take offense to what I've offered; I just want to help. It is my DOWNFALL, AUGH! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNEW I wouldn't get out of this exercise thing! It was a good excuse though...right?

    The foot is feeling better, but I think I may have a bone spur. It feels better, then hurts again. Stupid foot!

    So, thank you all for your sympathy.

    Yes, Paul, we got the wildchild her very, very, nice dress! This weekend it's all about the jewelery and shoes! Prom is May 3rd, so we have time. Did I mention she's going to 2 proms? Different boys and different schools! Her school is the 3rd. She's just going with a friend. Other prom is with the boy she hopes to make her boyfriend. It's so complicated it makes my head spin...

    Amber, somehow I KNEW you would have sage advice. You and PK are right, the weights are the way to go. The Y does have a pool and I'm thinking of trying it out during one of the lap times. I haven't been doing anything active for such a long time, it's hard to jump right in. Plus I don't want to look like an idiot. DVD's are a great idea! I didn't even think of it. I didn't realize that yoga and pilates are easy on the feet.

    Well, with all this advice, I guess I better get off my fat butt and get moving!!!!

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plus I don't want to look like an idiot.

    Okay, I have felt this and gone through this too. But you know what?

    You know what I think when I see someone in the gym who looks like they are just starting out or they are heavy or out of shape (and I'm not *light* or "in" shape, so I'm not saying I am) but you know what I think?

    Well, in the first place, I'm usually too busy huffing and puffing and working on my own stuff to really look at anyone else unless they are using a machine I want and I'm waiting for them to finish.

    But when I HAVE noticed someone at the gym and maybe they look a bit lost or new...I think OMG THAT IS AWESOME THEY ARE COMING TO THE GYM! I smile, it makes my DAY! It seriously makes my day to see someone who maybe isn't in that greatest of shape or they are trying to figure out a machine or whatever because they are *trying* and *working*.

    And it fills me with happiness. :)

    I do not doubt there are people who are judgmental about working out and measure themselves against everyone else, but they never grew out of high school and SRSLY, do you care what people like that think anyway?

    Know that people who truly enjoy working out for their body's sake LOVE seeing people at the gym for the first time. We want to run over and hug you, I swear to god, nobody worth a shit is thinking anything about you in the first place and if they are for some reason, it's Good Things. :)

    Believe me on this one. :)

    And the pilates DVD I have is Winsor pilates. Someone gave me a copy but I think this is the same one here:

    Short Pilates Clip

    Ignore the flashy infommercial tone and just watch the little video; see how they are mostly sitting and working on their muscles? No standing or running or *any* kind of pressure on your foot. And believe me, this will kick your ASS! I'm so tired during this workout that sometimes I just have to pause it for a few...ahahaha!

    But it doesn't matter if you break it up during the day; if you do something strenuous for 20 minutes straight or break it up into 5 minutes each, it's still good.

    Okay, I'm done now, I promise. Dan says I'm like a Born Again when it comes to exercise. Or maybe like your MIL and her Islam? ahahaha! ;-P

    ReplyDelete