Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I had quite the shocker a couple of weeks ago when her mom came to pick her up.
Out of the blue she asks, "So, what do you think about spanking?"
Oh boy! Are you kidding me? Did you really just ask me that?? I almost started laughing. Of course I realized immediately that she was talking about spanking children but still.....
I answered that I'm all for it when I need it and there is never enough at my house....IN MY HEAD.
In real life I asked what she thought....about spanking her children...of course...LOL
In the end it came down to the fact she had a really bad morning with her older daughter (whom I don't watch) and I guess she spanked her and the daughter (totally manipulating her mom) said that it was too hard and it hurt her tailbone.
So the mom....(she's a little bit of an air-head) let her stay at grandmas for the day. This is because she (the mom) is a teacher, so she didn't want her daughter to say something to her teacher about her butt hurting and then having the school turn her in.
Turns out.....just so you know. The mom spanked the daughter with her hand and it was only one slap and it was over pants. When the mom checked on the daughter later in the day, the grandma informed the mom that the daughter didn't even mention it. There was absolutely NO mark on the daughter's butt....not even red. So the daughter was being a typical 6 year old drama queen.....she totally got a free day off of school and made her mom feel bad.
I do understand the dilemma that the mom was put under. IF she HAD sent the daughter to school and the daughter had complained to her teacher, her teacher would have had to tell the authorities and THAT could have resulted in very bad things. Both mom and dad work in the school systems so they could possibly have lost their jobs.
Anyway, this isn't a post about whether or not you believe in spanking your children. BUT, it does show how much life has changed since I was a kid.
Also, how often are you asked, in real life, What do you think about spanking???
Written while ignoring laundry by::
Not to get into a debate over whether to spank or not spank children, however I do feel that parents now days worry to much about outside influences and therefore let their children manipulate them. Children I believe need consequences and parents need to apply those consequences immediatly not afterr 20 warnings. If children know they can manipulate they will.
ReplyDeleteTimes sure have changed since I was a child!!!
C
I totally agree! It's sad that the mom had to worry about her job over a little swat.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by,C
HUGS!
grace
Teachers can get into major trouble if they don't report even suspected abuse so you understand how paranoid they might become if fingers are pointed in their direction. ;-)
ReplyDeleteFunny thing, she asked you!!!
ReplyDeleteI see parent who can see their kids screaming, hitting, beatting and won't even call their attention.
I am sorry but I had to take some hard spankings, from my husband now LOL and some not so hard when I was a kid and I turned out fine.
Everybody needs consequences and sometimes kids just won't get it. Time out is fine to some point.
If parents worry about the future of their kids and don't want them to be in trouble latter on in life, they should be stricter with them.