Putting your husband first...well that's something I never really gave much thought to until I realized how selfish I was being.
Putting your spouse first can be very hard when you have small children. I saw Oprah the other day, and I was amazed at all the wives and mothers putting the kids before the hubby. Kids are very important and I love mine to pieces, but as one lady on the show very nicely put it...I'm IN love with my husband, I'm not in love with my kids.
This doesn't mean I don't love my kids. And I didn't think the lady on the show meant that either, but you should have seen the response the lady got from the other mothers. How DARE she not be in love with her kids! But they didn't get it. These women are so busy being the perfect parents that they left the hubbies out in the dust. One lady even admitted that she watches TV during sex....so he can take care of his "business"! Is that what the world is coming to? Men are just "taking care of business" when they want to make love? I shudder to think that this is what is going on in homes across America. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.
I have to admit, a couple of weeks ago, I was those women. I was thinking only of myself and my kids, and I didn't really give much thought to my hubbies needs. But that has so changed. My kids will only live in my house for a short time, but hopefully, my marriage will last forever. When the kids are gone, if I haven't fulfilled my hubbies needs he may not be around anymore, or our relationship will be strained. How can I put my husbands needs second...for 20 years or so, and expect there to be any sort of chance for our relationship to survive?
My kids will still grow up. I will still be there for my kids every step of the way. But I will make sure that Bossman and I nurture our relationship too. I will NEVER ever watch TV while my Bossman is "doing his business" His business is my business and sex and love making will NEVER be business in my book!
Take the time to love your husbands and wives today. Take the time to hold hands, take the time to give him a kiss as he walks in the door tonight. Take the time. Your kids will know they have parents that love each other, and they will learn how to treat their partners went the time comes. Parents are the best roll models. Love your partner...do it for the kids!
later........
What a wonderful post! I totally agree, that even when you have kids, your Partner is who should always come first; they are the ones who are going to be around the longest. Thank you for putting it so eloquently
ReplyDeleteWhy thanks jules!
ReplyDeleteI just think it's amazing how many women allow their children to run their entire lives.
Of course children change lives, and you have to adjust to that, but does that mean we have to give up our entire lives, including sex, and our husbands?
Please tell me that will NEVER happen!