Where were you when the world stopped turning?

I was still in bed, trying to catch a few more winks before I had to get up and take the wildchild to school. My phone rang. Who could be calling so early in the morning? It was a friend. I met her at the other end of town and she drove her son and my daughter to school. She said he son wasn't going to school that day. Had I turned on the TV yet? No, I hadn't. "It's bad" she said. What? What happened? Something is going on in NY. Turn on your TV. Ok. Thanks for telling me.

I reached for the night stand for the remote. Bossman asks, "what's up?" D just said something is going on in NY and I should turn on the TV.

There is was. A plane had hit one of the towers. I didn't want to look, but I couldn't look away. Should I take my daughter to school? We decided yes, this was too much for a child to watch, and by then, we knew it was the only thing that would be watched on that day.

Right before I left to take her to school, a second plane hit. It was just too much. I got in the car and headed off for the 30 min drive to her school.

In the car I didn't want to turn on the radio. I knew it would be bad. My daughter was only in the 6th grade at the time. She wanted to know what was going on. I told her there was a plane accident in NY. At the time, I didn't know that one of the towers had fallen. I didn't know that terrorist had attacked our country. I didn't know.

At the time, my daughter was going to a private christian school. I knew that whatever was happening, would be taken into consideration at the school. Although I had strong feeling that I wanted to keep my daughter close to me. I knew my daughter would be in good hands.

After dropping my daughter off at school, I turned the radio on. It was then that I found out that one of the towers had fallen. I switched the radio off. I couldn't understand what was happening, but I wanted to get home. I needed to get home to my husband and my 3 year old son. My daughter was safe, I knew that, but I almost turned around to take her home. I didn't turn around, because I knew this would be bad and I didn't want my daughter to see me upset. So I went home.

My son was watching Blue's clues in the bedroom and Bossman was glued to the TV in the living room. I got home in time to see the second tower fall. I went in the bathroom and cried.

The rest of the story doesn't need to be told. I'm sure everyone has a similar story to share. It's a day that will forever be etched in our hearts and our minds.

So I'll leave you with the lyrics to Alan Jacksons song. It pretty much sums it up.




Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red, white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer
And look at yourself and what really matters?

Chorus:
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Were you teaching a class full of innocent children
Or driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
In a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you loved her?
Did you dust off that Bible at home?

Did you open your eyes and hope it never happened
Close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow
Or go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers
Did you stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

Chorus:
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love.

Chorus:
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell
The difference in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is love.

And the greatest is love.
And the greatest is love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?...

5 comments:

  1. Grace, you're too young, but this is right up there with "Where were you when JFK was shot?" But 9/11 has had a much broader impact because of all who have been affected by it--not just the loved ones who died from the horrific attacks on 9/11, but those who lost their lives serving our country in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    My sixth grade students watched tv all day that day. and the next, and the next. There was alot of crying and alot of talking going on, not to mention alot of praying. I can only hope that I led those children in the right direction with my own thoughts and comments. As a teacher, one can never forget the influence one has on young
    people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,
    How strange that I was teaching 6 grade that day and my thoughts too centered around wanting my own children. Thank-you for posting these words. I never got all the words before. I know everyone went through that day together but this makes me feel closer to you.

    Love,
    Elis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at work preparing for my day. I overheard someone say what had happened, but I missed the whole story and the impact eluded me. Upon calling all my patients (only 3), all but one said it was not a good day. I went and saw the one, she was oblivious as to what had happened. Upon leaving her home, I heard the full details on the radio. By this time they had also hit the Pentagon, and the flight had crashed in Pennsylvania. This was about 10am and the full impact had just hit me. I too wanted to run to school and get my son. He also attends a private Christian school, and I decided he was better off there than home watching it all. I went home, and began to watch. The first thing I heard was that policemen and firemen had not survived, and I lost it. I cried whenever I was alone for about a week. Then I said enough. Turn off the television and see what you can do that is constructive. To this day it still seems so unbelievable. Anywhere I went that week, I could see it in others eyes. Even strangers at the store, Our minds were all in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Grace, all humans of good will stand with the U S on this sad day,
    Hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace~ Like Elis, I was in the classroom trying to calm the fears of some and getting those who thought it to be funny to put it into proper perspective. The kids I teach go from one extreme to the other and I am often caught trying to get them to find that happy medium. On that day there was none. I was angry, scared, and I just wanted my family. The few - and there were very few who laughed, I quickly put in their place and then focused on those kids who were afraid. I pray that we as a nation never ever have to relive anything so horrendous and it makes me shudder to think it could happen. But take heart to know that we teachers take calming your children very seriously.

    Eva

    ReplyDelete