Over the river and through the woods

Ah camping!  What’s not to like about camping? 

Let’s see….

Could it be the bugs?

check

Could it be the cold?

check

Could it be the lack of showers?

check

Could it be the dirt?

check

Could it be the RAIN?

double check

Yes, we had all the flavors of camping.  It was hideously splendid.  We had fun, we were miserable and then we came home.

We got there on a Friday afternoon.  The sun was shining, there wasn’t any wind and the mountain was breathtaking.  Once we all got settled in, we made some dinner, made a bonfire and had a great time.  Guitars came out and singing was done.  Delicious s’mores were made and all was right with the world.

Then came the cold. 

I was so cold I had on 2 shirts and 2 jackets.  In a sleeping bag with Bossman with a comforter thrown over the top.  If Bossman hadn’t cuddled next to me with all his warmth I may have died from teeth chattering.  But Bossman managed to thaw me out and I managed to get about 5 minutes of sleep, which is about all one can get in a tent on a deflating air mattress.

The next day was beautiful.  We took our time getting up and when we finally got breakfast made for everyone it was around 10.  After breakfast we played some games and finally around noon we headed out for a hike. 

The path we took led us through the forest and by a small stream.  Some people came by us on some beautiful horses.  The kids (the youth group we went with) climbed up a mountain side (which scared me to death) but everyone made it safely back down.  We found a dead snake on the road and one of the kids decided to carry it back to the camp. My son thought he was a mountain man!  He carried an axe around with him and stayed up with the front of the back.  He said this was the best time he ever had.

After we got back to camp…I went to BED!  I was tired!  By the time I got up, it was dinner time.  We cooked hamburgers and hotdogs and chili beans and  all sorts of camping type foods and pigged out.  Again, more singing and more bonfire and more s’mores! 

Now, we knew there was a slight chance of rain.  So Bossman had the foresight to pack up our car with everything except what was in our tent.  Then we went to bed.  For some reason I wasn’t as cold.  Bossman and the little man and I played some cards before hitting the sack.

About 1 in the morning the rain started.  YAY!  Luckily, it was rain and there wasn’t much wind with it.  The little man thought the creek was going to overflow and about 4 in the morning the 3 of us got out of the tent to go potty and to check the creek (for the little mans benefit).  Once the little man saw that the creek wasn’t rising, we all tried to go back to sleep.  Needless to say, but 7 we were up.  It was getting really wet.  As long as we stayed in the middle of our tent we were fine, but the edges were getting wet.  Once we got up and talked to the rest of the group, we determined the best thing to do with get packed up and head home.  Lucky for us, we were only about 40 minutes from home. 

By 9am we were home in our nice warm house.  I had a nice hot shower and all was right with the world again.

Oh, I forgot to tell you the snake story.  Remember how I said one of the kids carried the dead snake back to camp?  Well, he put it in one of the bathrooms.  Needless to say, there were numerous people running out of that bathroom.  It was quite funny….but I guess you would have had to have been there.

So that’s what I did this weekend…how about you?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Grace:

    no doubt this was a great weekend!! camping is always fun!! fun doesn´t mean dry or clean!

    i love the feeling of being on the shower, at home after all the experience!!

    i am looking so forward to be able to share camping with my lil boy! we used to camp very often before i was pregnant!

    but if he keeps growing so fast we are going to be able to go really soon!! :)

    huge hugs!!

    löthianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace.
    Sounds like you had a real blast.
    We take our lot camping in July, Its supposed to be warmer then but this is England so its a bit pot luck.
    Ummm what did I do this weekend.
    Well we had Mothers Day yesterday so our little house was invaded by my 5 brothers, 2 sisters and about 17 nephews and nieces. Mayhem!!!!
    Hugs, Jay

    PS whats a s'more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My idea of camping is staying in a hotel! Except I do love s'mores. Graham crackers, chocolate and melted marshmellows mmmmmm...Glad you had fun.

    (hotels don't like campfires in the rooms.)

    C

    ReplyDelete