The English language

THIS IS GREAT!!! Read all the way to the end................ Somebody spent a lot of time on this. (no it wasn’t me, do you really think I’m that smart??? )

You think English is easy???

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.

2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes. 10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oars men about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow. 17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
21) I wanted to read the book, but I already read it.

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France .. Sweet meats are candies while sweet breads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick'?

You lovers of the English language might enjoy this .
There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP.'

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP. We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP ! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP . When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP...
When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.
When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.
One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP, so........it is time to shut UP!

Oh …one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?

U-P

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Grace, I already hated the english language, now i loathe it.
    Maybe people will have more sympathy for us Dyslexics after reading this.
    I notice that the silent letters wernt mentioned.
    Like the 'P' in cupboard.
    Or the 'there' 'their' and 'the other one'.
    Argh now I'm at it.
    Hugs, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!

    I'm a huge lover of language and this had me smiling and chuckling over what I imagine are the frustrations of some at our use of it.

    Going to print this one out for my 'smile file'.

    Thank you lovely one. I hope you and the family are having a great weekend.

    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And DON'T even get me started on spelling!!

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this Grace, thanks for sharing it.
    A lot of our children have trouble with our language, especially as some words are spelt the same but have different meaning. I've seen some struggle so much.
    Hope you and your family are having a lovely Sunday.
    Ronnie
    xx

    PS - sorry deleted one was mine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Why doesn't 'Buick' rhyme with 'quick'?'

    At our house it does! Mr. Smith has a great big, old boat of a Buick and that's how he pronounces it. I cracked UP, the first time he said it. It sounded like he'd said 'Boo Ick' which is a very good description.

    This was a great find, thanks for sharing. I've always loved words and the nuances and flagrant inconsistencies of our language!

    For some reason I'm remembering that phonetically 'fish' can be spelled 'ghoti'. I'll have to work on recalling how it happens. Guess I'll give UP for now.

    *hugs*
    CeeCi

    ReplyDelete