Oh well, even if you didn't miss me, I missed all of you.
Camping was fun. Adventure, to say the least.
The place we camp is about 45 minutes from our house. We love going there and try and go once a year. It's a first come, first serve place, so you have to get lucky to get a spot there.
We figured that this week would be full, so we tried going out on Sunday to see if we could snag a spot. See, if the campground is full, they put you on a list and at three, they give out all the spots that came up, so our plan was to get on the list.
Luckily, there were 2 spots left when we got there. We paid up until thursday. We were not prepared to stay Sunday night, but we paid the 18 bucks to hold the spot for us.
Monday, we loaded up the car and headed out to the beach. It was BEAUTIFUL! The weather was perfect. We set up camp and enjoyed the day. The little man likes skimboarding and boogie boarding and I like to sit on the beach and read juicy romance novels. Perfect!
The wildchild did not join us that night. So it was just the three of us. It was a little weird not having her there, but I knew she would be joining us the next day, so it wasn't too bad.
That night, the winds were BAD! See, we camp with tents. Someday, I will have a camper of some kind. Someday! But for now it was tents. The winds were so strong I thought the tent would collapse. It didn't. But, the screen tent we have that we put up over the table...uh, it didn't fair so well.
So the next day, we headed to the nearest town, (about 20 miles away) and bought a new screened in tent. We have to have one, as every time you try and cook something, the bees swarm you....NOT FUN!
The new tent!
We came back to camp, set up the new tent, cooked some lunch and waited for the wildchild. She showed up with her boyfriend and we all hit the beach. ( The boyfriend didn't stay the night)
We had a lovely time. The evening was spent around the campfire making smore's and roasting wienies! (hee hee, I said wienies!)
That night, the wind was bad again, but we had purchased some earplugs, so it was bearable.
The next day, the weather started doing some weird stuff. One minute, the air was calm and HOT, the next, the wind would blow in. Then it would be super hot at the campsite, and cold on the beach. Then you'd be on the beach and it would be really hot, and then it would be super cold and windy. Crazy!
About mid-afternoon, we decided to head out for along walk along the beach. We waited until the tide was low, because we wanted to take a hike along this area that have tide pools. We had a GREAT time on the first half of the walk. We walked, we talked, we found cool shells and we saw crabs and sea creatures. We watched birds flying over head and watched sea lions play in the water. It was NICE.

(you can't see it, but the arrow is pointing to a pyramid looking thing that we wanted to see. See how far away it was? We walked all that way. Mind you, we had already walked about a third of the way before this picture was taken.)
The pyramid thing! We made it! Still don't know what it is, but it's there, in the middle of no where!)
On the way back from our walk, which by the way, was about 2 miles each way, we started to notice the wind was picking up. Soon, the wind was so strong that the sand was blasting on our legs and it HURT!

(this was taken before the wind started up. We were just heading back. The arrow is pointing to where we had to go before we got to the straight area with no rocks to hide behind. Notice the wet sand? This is why we didn't realize what we were going to be up against, we hadn't gotten to the dry area yet.)
We rounded one of the corners and were hunkered down behind some rocks. Bossman was yelling "take cover" and I was cracking up laughing! I thought I was going to pee my pants. I couldn't believe that I was hunkered down behind a rock trying to protect myself from sand!
Unfortunately, we were only about half way back to the camp site. The last part of our journey consisted of flat beach with NO rock protection. It was about this time that I realized that this wasn't funny anymore. The little man started to panic. I wasn't sure how we were going to walk the rest of the way back with the sand blasting us. I'm not exaggerating when I say, the winds were probably going between 25 and 30 miles per hour.
(The straight away, on the way THERE, not on the way back!)
Luckily, as long as we walked in the surf, the sand couldn't blast our legs. We plowed through the last leg with me telling the little man that we can't panic and we had to pretend we were soldiers and we couldn't stop, we had to keep moving. And THAT is just what we did.
By the time we got back to the camp, we were exhausted. The wind showed no signs of dying down and we had no option but to sit in the car if we wanted relief from the wind. We were so wind blown and sunburned. We all decided, in that moment, that we were heading HOME. We were suppose to stay until the morning and then leave, but we were DONE! We couldn't imagine trying to sleep that night with all that wind whipping through our tent.
So, we gathered the last of our energy and packed up the car with tents and such and then we left.
Oh, first, because this place has the best burgers EVER, and we had planned on having those burgers for dinner that night, we got burgers and THEN we left!
When we got home that night, the little man told us all that we were NOT allowed to mention that walk on the beach again, for it brought up bad memories. I told him that we would be bringing it up often and laughing, for if you really think about it, it was REALLY funny. Plus, that's the best story we've got for the summer. (so far, but he won't be going with me to meet the girls) Not to mention, you know when he goes back to school he's going to have to write a report about what he did this summer. Between the armpit of hell, I mean, baseball game and the day we got sandblasted and lived to tell about it, I don't think he'll have any problem coming up with something to tell about.
Well, that was my trip! What's been going on with YOU these days? Any fireworks to report?
(click on the pictures to enlarge! One of them shows the wildchild, but notice she's the ONLY one on the beach? I wonder why??)
I'm glad you are back. I have been waiting on you. I have tons of questions besides the dress code in your country. What is the currency exchange between the east and west dollars. And I assume you all take the coin of the land the Confederate dollar - right?
ReplyDeleteCan I assume we are not going camping when we get there? This sounds like quite a trip. Was the little triangle thingy worth it?
But if you whole family was together then it became an adventure. Maybe not one you want to repeat exactly that way but an adventure anyway!!
Glad you are back and be expecting some email inquiries!!
Big old hugs,
PK
Grace, quite an exciting time, yes, why is the Wildchild alone on the beach.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to have you back.
You mean you have proper money over there!!!
We are in the middle of a summer storm with winds at about 50 to 60 MPH, but I'm snug.
Love and warm hugs,
Paul.
Ummm wieners, smores, collapsing tents, swarming bees, freezing cold, heat waves, 30 mph winds, stinging sand.....Ahh the great outdoors!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures were beautiful. Email me what kind of camera you have, I'm in the market!
Huggs!
Theresa
Sounds like quite an adventure!:-)
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I can come up with the WildChild being alone on the bench is because she didn't want to share the person sitting across from her. Or maybe she was contributing to the wind by passing some of her own.
ReplyDeleteYour camping trip read like a Lampoon Vacation movie script.
I've been sandblasted on a beach too, it's not fun. I had sand in places sand had no business being... like in my ears and under my bra straps. Pretty beach savvy of y'all to walk in the surf.
*hugs*
C.C