Friday fill-in with a bonus horror story

ffi


1. It seems like this week will NEVER end.

2. Flush when you're done, please?

3. If I thought you'd spank me I'd be more bratty!

4. Love is what I think of most when I think of you.

5. To me, Valentine's Day means commercialism.

6. Bossman gives me strength.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to sleeping, tomorrow my plans include taking the wildchild to the doctor and Sunday, I want to sleep in!

*Warning* Gross picture ahead!

The wildchild has made it home and boy, is she CRANKY! She's sporting a Olivia Newton John sweatband and every time I see her I get the urge to sing "Lets get physical". Poor thing.

Here's the story. On January 23 the wilchild got her rook pierced. For those of you that don't know what a rook piercing is...it looks like this.....
Isn't that a cute ear?

Well, I wasn't that thrilled with the piercing but I didn't mind it too much. I did give her a hard time about it, but I wasn't mad or anything.

Fast forward to this past Sunday evening. Bossman and I are out at a friends house for dinner. I get a call from the wildchild. "Mom, my ear is infected, I think I need to see a doctor, will you make an appointment for me tomorrow, first thing?" I ask how bad it is and she says "real bad."

So when I get home I take a look. I see this.....I ask her why she didn't tell me sooner and she claims she was afraid I would be mad. Sheez! I don't know why she thought that....I'm not THAT mean...honest...I'm not!

So, Bossman and I decide we should take her to the ER. Remember, it's Sunday night. Let's just say everyone in my town decided they were sick that night! It was horrible. I took her while Bossman stayed home with the Little man.

It took over an hour for them to triage her, and when the doc FINALLY looked at it...well, he just said we should go home and put hot compresses on it to let it drain and he gave her some antibotics. They said if it wasn't better by Tuesday we should see her regular doc.

Tuesday arrived and with it an ear more swollen than the picture above. I took her to her doc at 9am and he immediately sent us to a Ears nose throat doc. That doc took one look, from across the room and said one word. "Hospital."

The wildchild started crying. See, she had looked it up on Dr. google, so she had seen all the horror stories.

I took her straight to the hospital. Wouldn't you know, we had to go through the ER (different hospital from the one on Sunday) and be triaged again. Even though we had doc orders in our hand. We waited for over 2 hours in the ER. Finally they took her into surgery around 4:45.

Basically, they drained it and scrapped away all the dead skin. See, cartlidge doesn't have any blood in it. So, it doesn't repair. So unfortunately this means her ear will not be so cute anymore. We are hoping it will just be flatter than a normal ear and not be too disfigured. From what I saw when the doc took the bandages off, it looked pretty good. If she doesn't keep pressure on it though, it could fold. That's why she has to wear the headband. It's keep pressure on the ear. We are very lucky it wasn't a staph infection or mrsa, BUT, the doc told us today that the results show that it was the second worse bacteria you could have. (don't ask me the name of it as I couldn't repeat it if I even remembered it.) So she's been sent home with 2 different antibiotics and vicodin. As I'm typing this, she's in a lot of pain and I just got off the phone with the doc. He says she's got all the pain meds that he can give and offered to re-admit her, but she declined that offer because she doesn't want another IV. So it could end up a long night tonight.

Anyway, the wildchild had to learn some valuable lessons here. ONE, piercings don't pay! I told her it was a waste of money and boy was I right! TWO, even if you think mom is going to be mad, it's better to have mom mad then to have to go through surgery. THREE, Mom is always right!

Ok, so she still doesn't agree with Three, but that's ok. I think the first two lessons were hard enough to learn, I won't press for the third. Although....I have a great "I told ya so" dance I could do for her. But I might wait until she's feeling better before I attempt that!

I'd love to tell all the humorous things that happened after the surgery, but that will have to wait for another post.

Your assignment for today.....don't get pierced! Warn your kids! Show them the pictures! Tell them the story! Nobody tells you the bad stuff when you get pierced. Kids just think it's cool!

Hospitals, ear surgery and deformed ear? Not so cool!

6 comments:

  1. I got my eyebrow pierced a few years ago, as a sort of "independence" present to myself. Hurt like hell, but seemed to heal perfectly. About a month or so after it was done, I woke up one morning with it so swollen I couldn't see out of my left eye... Yeah, not good. No insurance, and the swelling made it impossible to get the ball off to remove it. Dear hubby got out the wire cutters... that was his "I told you so" moment. Since then, piercings make me nervous. I have my nose done, and had been considering a... uhm... "below the waist" piercing. Uh-uh. No way. What if THAT got infected? I'll stick with the holes I have, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awful story, Grace. I'm so sorry.
    Maryann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch.
    Mam wouldn't let me get my ears peariced so in a fit of rebellion at 15 I went and got them peirced. Boy was she mad. I got to keep them though, and I've had no problems.
    At 16 I dicided that I wanted to get the top of my ear peirced. I had it in for about 2 hours before my dad said "eiher you take it out of I'll rip it out!" nice huh!?
    I've had it done again since and I have no problems.
    Sorry Wild child had probs.
    Hugs, Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my good "friend", Dr. Google. He's one scary dude/dudette.

    When my big toe got infected a few years back, Dr. Google seemed to be saying that my entire foot would have to be amputated or I'd almost certainly lose the toe. AND I must have diabetes to boot; type in "toe" and "infection" and you get "diabetes". There is no way around it according to Dr. Google.

    And my ear ringing last meant I had a brain tumor, probably inoperable.

    I don't like Dr. Google very much. My face-to-face doctors rarely agree with him/her either.

    As for Mom always being right? Hells yeah! Word to the kids out there; guess what. We ARE! *grins*

    Glad she is better. Poor her, poor you. What an ordeal! {{{hugs}}}

    And I'll bet her ear is going to be fine; she's young, it will heal beautifully and no one will see a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch, I am sorry this happened. WIshing for a very speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grace:
    I think 3 should be ONE...Mom is always right. It sounds like she is on the road to recovery, I wish her a most speedy recovery. I am looking forward to hearing about the humourous things that happened when you are ready to talk about them. For now I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
    Take care
    AG

    ReplyDelete